Metabolic Bone Disease Concern

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cayenne

Hi im new to the forum and need some information on Metabolic Bone Disease. My bearded Cayenne has it at 3 months old. She was hospitalized for 2 days and given calcium injections and fluids and was sent home to me today! She is more alert and sits up on her front legs but is not using her back end at all. I know this is a big part of the disease but i was wondering if anyone could give me some insight on the recovery process. When she will be able to use her back legs or if she will be able to use them.

Thanks

pscaulkins

Extreme Poster
What brand of UVB light and calcium do you use? Are you giving your beardie liquid calcium? Physical therapy works wonders helping them regain leg use. First off, they need to get the correct amount of calcium in their bodies and UVB. Once that happens, you can start giving your beardie physical therapy in a tub. Start slowly and work up. Water is a non-impact exercise so it let's them exercise without the risk of breaking bones. My oldest female developed this when she was about 3 months old. It took her about 6 months or more. (Can't remember :oops: ) Found out she does not metabolize powdered supplements. She is now 3-1/2 years old and doing great.

Cayenne

Original Poster
The bulb i had said it was UVB but it was not!! I went today and bought a Exo Terra Repti Glo 10.0 15 W for her return home. I was sprinkling her crickets with calcium powder and she would not eat them. She was scared of them, would run and back up when they came near her. She would wait for the dust to wear off then eat them. I sprinkled it in her fruit and greens but she barely ate those either so i stopped wasting it and was gonna try again soon when she got a little bigger! While in the Hospital she got calcium injections so she is good to go now. I bought a spray to use and she started recently eating baby food fruit so ill be mixing powder in that!

As for the Physical therapy, what exactly do you do? I will def start that soon after the stress of her hospital visit wears off!

Thanks

Valex

Hatchling Member
You need to trade in the reptiglo, it has been proven to have many problems such as blindness, fatigue, not to mention it has very low amounts of UVB.

What you want is the reptiSUN, it will fit in the same fixture and is 100% better. The one you have now will probably do more harm than good, so I would shut it off and order or go buy the reptiSUN. The cheepest place I have ever seen it is here- http://www.petmountain.com/product/reptile-fluorescent-bulbs/504983/zoo-med-reptisun-10.0-uvb-bulb.html

Best of Luck!

pscaulkins

Extreme Poster
As for the Physical therapy, what exactly do you do? I will def start that soon after the stress of her hospital visit wears off!

Swim, swim and more swimming. lol Swimming is the best exercise they can do. It's non impact so it won't put stress on the bones. Start slowly, and build up time. During Magick's physical therapy, I started her at 5 minutes and built up to almost an hour. I had to put deep water in because she would not move and lay flat on the bottom. I would cup her belly and raise her above the water and she automatically moved her legs. By the time we stopped doing it, she was a marathon swimmer. Someone was always right there cheering her on. She hated it at first but began to love the time in the water.

She also had a couple of massages from my vet. He had never done it on a dragon but did do it to other animals. It really helped straighten her spine.

Valex is correct about the UVB light you purchased.

Cayenne

Original Poster
ok so home from the Hospital for 24 hours and still has not eaten!! Offered crickets meal worms fruit greens and a meal thing the doctor gave me!! NOTHING!!! She wont even open her mouth.... I used a little force with a dropper and got the calcium rx from the vet and a little bit of water but thats it!! Is this normal? She looks so much better and stronger today but im worried about the eating! She did go to the bathroom once today too!

Any Advice from someone who has been through this??

Valex

Hatchling Member
Do not offer meal worms they can cause impaction, and have no nutritial value due to the chitin shell.

Maybe try phoenix worms

Cayenne

Original Poster
Well i cant try anything until she decides to open her mouth!! Had to fight to get water in!!

Cayenne

Original Poster
Ok Pscaulkins..............

so i tried the water therapy today! She didnt move. Just pulled in her front legs which she is using otherwise and did nothing!! i moved her all around the tub hoping for some kind of movement! Nothing! I even let her go a litle to make her think she would sink!! Nothing! I know its gonna take time but did you have to do it for awhile before she moved at all?

and after she started bloating all up in the belly like she originally did when i took her to the vet in the first place!! Im having such a rought ime with this..... any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

pscaulkins

Extreme Poster
Yes Cayenne, Magick would not move at all at first. Cup her belly in your hand in the water and raise the body above water and let the legs dangle. Any movement is exercise. Start slow though. After a while, she will move her legs.

Lack of appetite is common with MBD. I had to force feed Magick. You might want to force feed her with a syringe. Let her get the taste of the food then she might eat off a plastic spoon. The best slurry is feeders and greens/vegs pureed. You can use a blender or food processor. I use a Magic bullet to make slurry. Warm it just a bit to take the chill off in a microwave and boy mine go crazy. I make greens juice for hydration and all three of mine love the warm juice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HeathLizard
Top Bottom