Mercury Vapor, dangerous for kids?

Status
Not open for further replies.

apz23

I went to buy lighting for the viv today and the pet store owner told me that if even a drop of water gets on the bulb, it will explode. My daughter (8 years old) will be the owner of this pet with my help. Should I be worried about the MVB?

NegativeCreep

Sub-Adult Member
I suppose that would be based on your daughter. They get very hot, so burns are always a concern. But, I'm not sure how you could get one wet. They are a form of halogen lights, so yes, the water is bad (and finger prints, too). I have never, personally, heard of one exploding, though. The biggest concern a lot of folks have is the fact that they have mercury... but, what most people don't realize is that the CFLs (Compact Florescent Lights) that most of us have changed over to have pretty high levels of Mercury in them.

I think, IMHO, that if you feel that your daughter is mature/smart/old enough to help take care of a BD, then she is probably smart enough to stay clear of the bulb.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoseofChaos
Top Bottom