Mercury Vapor bulb recommendations???

Status
Not open for further replies.

szubelak

Juvie Member
Hi All,

My Ernie is fighting a respiratory infection. We're on our 3 round of antibiotics. He's older - 8 or 9. My vet recommended I try a mercury vapor bulb. She said it just might help him get over this infection. She said since I have such a large tank he might not be getting enough of the UV. I thought the mercury vapor bulbs were bad to use so I don't know anything about them. I currently have Acadia for UV light. What brand is good? Where do you buy it? What wattage?

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
What Arcadia do you have? How big is your tank?

MVB aren't bad but aren't as good as tubes, the T5HO tubes are just as strong as an MVB and when used properly give a more uniform basking zone than an MVB.

I would consider MegaRay or Arcadia MVB if you want to go that route.

szubelak

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I have the HO-T5 12% desert. My tank is about 48" x 18" x 24" (I'm not at home so I'm estimating here - can't remember)

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
How far away is it and is there screen? Cause honestly that's a very good light and is what I'd recommend over an MVB. Be mindful if you use the two together that you'll probably easily give too much UV.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
szubelak":2f4j7y6c said:
I have the HO-T5 12% desert. My tank is about 48" x 18" x 24" (I'm not at home so I'm estimating here - can't remember)

18 inch tall ? .... I think an arcadia 80W MVB or 100W MVB will do the job . Is the vet thinking it'll help by providing a lower humidity in the viv ?

The T5 12%UVB tube + an arcadia MVB sized to suit the height of the viv will work well as a combination , I'm setting up to build 4ft L x 2ft W x 1.5ft T vivs for two beardies soon , I'll have an 80W arcadia MVB + a 2ft T5 12%UVB arcadia so I can set up a uv gradient , one end will be quite high UV and the other very low UV.

Not suggested F10 nebulization as part of the RI treatment regime ??? Good idea to give the sick beardie's stuff a spray with diluted F10 , this will help stop him from reinfecting himself by killing off all bacteria and viruses on the surfaces he has contact with.

szubelak

Juvie Member
Original Poster
no - 24 tall - its taller than it is deep. She didn't say anything about lower humidity and no to nebulization

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
Have you gotten a culture with sensitivity run?
If not I personally would discuss it with the vet (to make sure you are using the right medications) before spending the money on more UV lamps.

Nebulization is also a common treatment however it's usually done with antibiotics. Use of F10 has only been made legal in the past few years in the US and not all vets are aware of it.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
szubelak":23r6i5qj said:
18 inch tall ?

no - 24 tall - its taller than it is deep. She didn't say anything about lower humidity and no to nebulization

OK ... 100W Arcadia MVB or 160W arcadia MVB on an angle (the 160W will probably be too hot for a 24 inch tall viv)..see
guide-bearded-dragon.jpg

http://arcadia-reptile.com/d3-uv-basking-lamp/

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi Szu, sorry to hear about Ernie. :( What are the temps. throughout the tank ? Can you post pics of Ernie and of his set up ? When did he exhibit symptoms, and what are they ? Can you post a video of hos breathing ? Has he been on 3 different antibiotics or the same one ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kiricowell
Top Bottom