Mercury Vapor Bulb Fixture?

Status
Not open for further replies.

khisanthax

Hey folks,

I got a new enclosure for my beardie and I need to get a mercury vapor bulb to supply the right amount of light and heat however for the life of me I can't find the right fixture. Can anyone make recommendations on what fixture, type of fixture or where to buy it from????

khisanthax

Original Poster
But from what I understand the mvb needs a ballast, so are there fixtures with ballasts or do I have to custom make my own? What about the dome, do I get a fixture with it or make one?

Ectotherm1

Don't mean to hi-jack this thread but I didn't want to start another MVB topic.
Anyways, I'm considering buying an MVB bulb for when I get another dragon.

The cage is 3' long, 16'' tall, and 18'' wide.
I was thinking of going with a 100watt Mega-Ray, and was wondering if I would need to provide any other lighting or elevate the basking area? The dragon is fully grown.

JeffSimpson

Juvie Member
Ectotherm1":0970b said:

I was thinking of going with a 100watt Mega-Ray, and was wondering if I would need to provide any other lighting or elevate the basking area? The dragon is fully grown.

WIth that bulb, you need a minimum of 12" from the bottom of the bulb to the basking spot. You won't be able to mount it inside, but on the top would work. However, you would be very limited in how high the basking spot can be... nothing more than a few inches.

JeffSimpson

Juvie Member
khisanthax":0b220 said:
But from what I understand the mvb needs a ballast, so are there fixtures with ballasts or do I have to custom make my own? What about the dome, do I get a fixture with it or make one?

Some bulbs, like the Megaray sell external and self-ballasted models. You'll want to doublecheck which one you are getting.

In regards to a dome, you don't "need" a dome, unless you plan on setting the bulb on a screen. You can make your own I suppose, or you can buy one. It's up to you.

Ectotherm1

JeffSimpson":3c775 said:
Ectotherm1":3c775 said:

WIth that bulb, you need a minimum of 12" from the bottom of the bulb to the basking spot. You won't be able to mount it inside, but on the top would work. However, you would be very limited in how high the basking spot can be... nothing more than a few inches.

I do have a piece of slate sitting on top of two red bricks which raise the basking area about 2'' and provide a hide spot under neath. So it's still about 12'' from basking area to MVB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Julielps
Top Bottom