Mel thickness and stability

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reven1337

So i was at the hardware store and i was looking at melamime sheets (and prices). I opted to go for the 1/2'' thickness because of price mainly, but it seemed like it would be sturdy enough. I now have the basic structure build for my 2x2x4 crossfire knockoff, but now im second guessing the thickness... anyone else build out of 1/2'' board? anyone having problems with it? does it hold the weight? My main concern is that the top board is rather unsupported in the middle at the front and i dont really want the weight to be pressing down on my lexan sliding doors (the lexan "fell off the truck" ;)). Do you think over the course of a few months it could begin to sag in the middle? I kinda wanted this to be the last enclosure my little cricket disposal unit would have to be moved into.

Also for the lighting how far was it that the reptisun 10.0 had to be from the dragon? Because ive got a faux rock "funbox" im working on that will cover half of the back of the eclosure. So above that it could be like 16-18'' from him but if hes on the ground it will be 2' roughly. Its a 2 ft bulb aswell, if i place id dead center on the back wall near the top will that be enough to get UVB to all the corners? or should i order another 3ft bulb?

I think im probably just over reacting and a 2ft bulb in the middle will likely be sufficient... just want to get the pros opinions.

Thanks in advance from me and my dragon.

**Edit : I am also concerned as i might want to build another enclosure to stack ontop of this one, hence the worry of stability/weight.

kinky

i wouldn't think the wood would sag over time unless it gets wet. if you're worried you could put a trim across the top, attached to the top and sides, being screwed to the back panel will also give ample support.

you probably want a 3ft tube in a 4ft viv with the tube around 8inches from your BD when he's basking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom