MegaRay Issue..

Status
Not open for further replies.

andrewlloyd

Juvie Member
Hey Guys,
So recently i finally bought a Megaray FINALLY!!
And im just having a couple troubles with it already..well one trouble anyways.
I got it yesterday, plugged it in and it turned on fine.

Today I had it turned on, and it seemd to be flickering, and then all of a sudden it turned off. :S
Then 2 minutes later it turned back on and it had stopped flickering and the bulb was working fine.. ever since it turned back on it has been fine.
Its not on a thermostat or anything like that, just a light timmer.

Any thoughts?

Also, heard that Megaray do wonders, im just wondering how long you should expect to see the difference in your beardie? lol

Cheers guys,

taransteve

Sub-Adult Member
Yes it's fine...It has a sensor that will make the light go off for 2-5 minutes and then come back on, it's a saftey feature so the buld doesn't go out. If the bulb overheats or the wiring inside the lamp holder is loose it wil make it turn off.. Mine do that sometimes and my husband will have to take apart the light holder and tighten the screw that holds the wires in place. They get loose sometimes.. Are you using this kind of lamp? http://www.petco.com/product/9469/Fluker-s-Clamp-Lamps.aspx?CoreCat=RepAmpFC_Heating

Bsir

Is there any chance your husband could explain how to do that? I may be having a similar issue with a loose wire (or at least that's what I hope it is). I bought my MegaRay 100W around a week ago, upon plugging it in today it turned on for half a second, then promptly flashed off. I haven't been able to get it to come on since, but my other bulb works fine in the fixture =[.

This is pretty disappointing as it is my first experience with the company.

Bsir

Hmm, just realized that you were referring to a loose wire in the actual fixture. I suppose I got a dud in that case =/

Has anyone else had this problem?

taransteve

Sub-Adult Member
I had that happen to me once too....I always buy my MVB's online and in bulk, got two that we're broke once. :banghead:
How long has it been since you tried turning back on?
We had a thunderstorm a few months ago that knocked our electricity out, after it came back on my MVB decided it wasn't going too.. The next morning I was ready to
ship it back to the supplier and 'oila it came back on :idea: :idea:
They're really temperamental sometimes, so maybe in a few hours give it one more shot..

andrewlloyd

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Yeh to be honest a bit disapointed.

The flickering and switching off is pretty annoying, just checked on it then and it was off, and then just flicked on but only realy dim.

I have mine in a ceramic light fixture.
Im going to double check all the wiring is tightened and all the rest if it.

andrewlloyd

Juvie Member
Original Poster
So i took apart the ceramic holder and re-wired it and made sure everything was tight.
Turned it on, and came on straight away and no flickering.

I had to leave the house, so ive asked someone to keep an eye on it for me.

Will let you know how it goes.

As for the change in activity if Chace, when/ if i should expect it? Lol

cheers,

taransteve

Sub-Adult Member
Whoaaaa the lights back on ! :blob5: :blob8: lol
Sounds like that may have been the problem.. whenever my MVB does the "flickering" that's the first thing we check now.. the wiring comes loose from the pulling and tugging of the light holder..
the manufacture really needs to find a different way of wiring them..it's irritating
You know, when I switched from fluorescent to the MVB's I noticed a change in Zues and Suezy's activity, color and eating after a week or so... The first day, Zues was alot more alert.. I still put them outside for a
few hours during the day, they love it!

andrewlloyd

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Spoke to soon..
Light was of this morning, but had been on earlier as my thermometer was showing a high temp.
Waited a couple mins it started flickering and turned on.

Im fairly dissapointed, dont know why its doing it, and when i researched it i never came accross anything that suggested they do this.

Going to stay up late tonight abd give bob a call fron reptileuv, sucks that i live in australia, times are all out of whack!

Any other thoughts?
perhaps it could be my ceramic holder?
Mayb ill try running it from a different holder and see how that goes..

kariann

Hatchling Member
Its not on a thermostat or anything like that, just a light timmer.

Do you mean you have a dimmer switch?
You can't use MVBs with dimmer switches: I wish you could. Maybe that's your problem. Most people just adjust the distance from the lamp to the basking area in order to achieve the desired temps when using an MVB.

andrewlloyd

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Nope, not a dimmer just a timmer.

Called Victorian Reptiles, (where i got it from down here) they said bring it in and theybwill swap it over..

To bad i cant make it till the weekend.. :(

BAD808

Sounds like bad luck Andrew,
I got mine from Animal attraction a few days ago, I hope I don't have the same problem.
I'm in the middle of building a new enclosure so wont be running it for awhile.

andrewlloyd

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Yeh im thinking the same thing, glad Matt was understanding and that i could change it over..

Have you tested yours yet?

Where you from mate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buddy- The Bearded Dragon
Top Bottom