MegaRay - i have some questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jelly

I'm planning on getting a MegaRay for my beardie, but before I purchase this product, I want to ask the community a couple of questions regarding this bulb.

1)Is this bulb really one of the best MVB's out there?
2)Would a 100watt version of this bulb be too much/too little for this enclosure? (120cm length, 40cm width, 60cm high, with room temperature at around 80-85F in the summertime, a screen lid and the closest spot to the bulb at about 15inches)
3)Would I need a special lamp fixture for this bulb? I know some brands sell fixtures that aren't compatible with MVB's (A link to a specific fixture would be nice)
4)This question isn't really toward the bulb, but, how would I light the rest of the enclosure if I'm using this bulb at one end?
5)Megaray vs reptisun 10.0?

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
Jelly":1rhn2cxd said:
I'm planning on getting a MegaRay for my beardie, but before I purchase this product, I want to ask the community a couple of questions regarding this bulb.

1)Is this bulb really one of the best MVB's out there?They used to be, and I'm sure will be again see this 28 page post of the past problems the've had, thread started in January 2010 viewtopic.php?f=34&t=121986
2)Would a 100watt version of this bulb be too much/too little for this enclosure? (120cm length, 40cm width, 60cm high, with room temperature at around 80-85F in the summertime, a screen lid and the closest spot to the bulb at about 15inches)I can't answer this question because I don't know the difference between cm's and inches. If it's 18 inches wide by 36 inches long by about 16 inches tall it is barely big enough for the 100 watt mega ray. We use the 60 watt eb setup so we can control the heat in our girls' tank easier, the 100 watt T-rex got it way, way to hot last summer.
3)Would I need a special lamp fixture for this bulb? I know some brands sell fixtures that aren't compatible with MVB's (A link to a specific fixture would be nice) we used this fixture for our t-rex and the 60 watt mega ray we now have. This is rated for 300 watts and works better for the heat output of the t-rex's and mega ray's http://www.homedepot.com/Lighting-Fans-Work-Lights/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xg6Zaqn9/R-100664505/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053
4)This question isn't really toward the bulb, but, how would I light the rest of the enclosure if I'm using this bulb at one end? If you use a Mega ray 100 watt you won't need an additional heat bulb. As far as lighting the rest of the enclosure you could use a light bulb that doesn't give out much if any heat
5)Megaray vs reptisun 10.0? This is your choice. I like using what we now have because we don't have to replace the bulbs as often as we do the reptisun 10 tubes we used to use. We had to replace them even 4 to 5 months, 6 months if we turned off the uvb after we take them out of their tank for the outside time they get. A lot of those that used to use the mvb's have switched to the reptisun 10 tubes, which are good tubes, just don't use any coil or compact bulbs. I hope this answers your questions. Also, do read all pages of the mega ray bulbs. I have noticed there are still some problems with some bulbs, but only one or two not dozens that cropped up late last year.

Jelly

Original Poster
If it's 18 inches wide by 36 inches long by about 16 inches tall it is barely big enough for the 100 watt mega ray

its 75 gallon. ill convert the measurements to inches: 47.2 length, 15.7 width, 23.6height. is that an ok size for 100watt?
also i have my beardie under a reptiglo and shes closing her eyes occasionally for a few seconds, so i want to get rid of this bulb and either get the megaray or reptisun but if the megaray is doing the same problems then im not sure if i should get it...

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
I understand. The mega ray people have fixed it the best they can. I agree, take out the reptiglo 10, it is causing eye problems unless you keep it 10 inches away from the basking spot but at that distance it doesn't give off enough uvb. As I said, we have a megaray 60 watt eb setup and have had no problems with it. This mega ray doesn't give off any heat so with this bulb you will need an additional heat bulb. We have had this installed for more than 2 months now and have had no problems with it. If the temps are good where you are, take him outside for real sun for an hour or more each day. If you are in the uk you can get the arcadia 12%. This is a better fluorescent uvb tube than the reptisun 10 is.

Also, from what I understand there are one or two problems with the mega ray 100 watts but not very many. Reptile uv is doing good in fixing any problems that crop up.

Yes that size tank will work with a 100 watt mega ray. They do get really hot, tho from what I understand. That's why we went with the setup we did. We live in a hot climate and even with airconditioning the t-rex, which is not quite as hot, got to 120 in the middle of the day.

Jelly

Original Poster
beardie parents":2ua3itxs said:
I understand. The mega ray people have fixed it the best they can. I agree, take out the reptiglo 10, it is causing eye problems unless you keep it 10 inches away from the basking spot but at that distance it doesn't give off enough uvb. As I said, we have a megaray 60 watt eb setup and have had no problems with it. This mega ray doesn't give off any heat so with this bulb you will need an additional heat bulb. We have had this installed for more than 2 months now and have had no problems with it. If the temps are good where you are, take him outside for real sun for an hour or more each day. If you are in the uk you can get the arcadia 12%. This is a better fluorescent uvb tube than the reptisun 10 is.

Also, from what I understand there are one or two problems with the mega ray 100 watts but not very many. Reptile uv is doing good in fixing any problems that crop up.

Yes that size tank will work with a 100 watt mega ray. They do get really hot, tho from what I understand. That's why we went with the setup we did. We live in a hot climate and even with airconditioning the t-rex, which is not quite as hot, got to 120 in the middle of the day.

Perhaps, since I also have the screen top, it will deflect some of the heat and make the basking spot more suitable. And also since I don't currently live in the US or UK, getting a good sized reptisun or arcadia would be a hassle... I guess I'll think about getting the MegaRay since its easier to obtain and it's supposedly better than the other bulbs. Do you know of any other good MVB that I could compare the MegaRay to?

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
No, last year the T-rex's started having the same problems that the mega rays did, at about the same time. Reptile uv started fixing the problems with their bulbs as soon as they found the problem. The company that made the t-rex took more time in fixing their problems and I'm not sure yet if their bulbs are fixed. I do know with the Mega rays you are more apt to have a good bulb than by buying the t-rex, this is from what I've read about both of them. I'm guessing you are in Canada? I know by reading on here it's sometimes hard to get certain reptile products there depending on where in Canada you live.

Jelly

Original Poster
Well I currently live in Israel and the only thing that they primarily sell here is Exo-terra products. I have siblings in the US that are coming to visit, so they insisted that they would get me a new light for my beardie. So I want to get a good light, without it being too problematic bringing it over (a right-sized reptisun for my terrarium would be too big to bring, therefore megaray would be the better option until I move back to the States). What I mainly want to know, is whether the Megaray 100W is currently safe to use (without it hurting beardie eye's) so that I can buy this bulb with confidence and not regret purchasing it.

Rob461

There is no 100% on this. Megarays had their problems and it seems they have gotten most of the kinks out of it now, but it is not fool-proof. I still use a Mega Ray for my Iggy's tank, and right now I use an exo-terra bulb for my beardie (I have kept a close eye on him, he seems much more active over the bulb I used for the first few days [Repti glow 2.0 left over from Iggy] while I wait for my new Megaray for him.)

It can get a bit confusing with all the lighting options and the gap between what is good and what is not, if you can't get a Repti-Sun or the Acradia then try the Exo-Terra. It seems to be doing fine for me for now... just I would not use it forever.

Jelly

Original Poster
if you can't get a Repti-Sun or the Acradia then try the Exo-Terra

I believe you meant to right megaray instead of exo-terra :O and if not.. I already have the exo-terra 10

Well anyway, thanks for your help. I'll probably read a bit more on MVB's and hopefully purchase the megaray

Rob461

Jelly":370jt1a6 said:
if you can't get a Repti-Sun or the Acradia then try the Exo-Terra

I believe you meant to right megaray instead of exo-terra :O

Well anyway, thanks for your help. I'll probably read a bit more on MVB's and hopefully purchase the megaray

No, I meant Exo-Terra. You need to have some sort of UVB and Mega Rays are on back order. So I went and got an Exo-Terra and I am using that till I get my Mega Ray, and will keep it as a back up. Like I said though, I keep a very close eye on him if I see even one bit of what looks like eye irritation the lamp is going in the garbage.

Edit: Let me explain myself further, I am not in the UK so the Arcadia is out of what I can buy, so this is the hierarchy of UVB bulbs as I would list them:

MegaRay - Repti-Sun 10.0 - Exo-Terra Desert 50 - Repti-Glo (AT this point just take the little guy outside for at least an hour or two to make sure he is getting enough UVB. I like to take mine out at least for a good 30 mins a day as it is now.

Jelly

Original Poster
Do you know when the Mega rays will be back out on the market? With the exoterra 10 i currently have, I notice that she usually closes the eye that's in the direction of the bulb for a few seconds. I also take her out to the sun for 30min-1hour every other day (sometimes more than every other day). If all goes well, they Megaray will be out on the market before june 27, so that I can get it when my sister comes.

Alon93

Hatchling Member
I'm also from Israel and like you I first kept my beardie with a Repti-Glo 10 that she highly disliked.
I ordered a Megaray in April from kimbo's reptile world and so far I'm very happy that I did, my beardie changed her color to yellow, she's way more active, she gained weight and she's eating alot more, so yes, I think its the best UV bulb out there.

The 100 watt will suit your terrarium perfectly, to light the rest of your terrarium you can add some compact or liner fluorescents (that's what I did).
Just be aware to the fact that sometimes the Megaray wont output enough heat so you will have to supplement it with an extra bulb.

Use a ceramic / porcelain fixture, make sure that it's rated for at least 300 watt so you will be on the safe side, mine is rated for 1000 watt.

This is the exact fixture that I use, it cost's about 2$, I don't use a dome fixture as its kinda rare in here and much more expensive.

2172.jpg

Jelly

Original Poster
Alon93":35a9ljo5 said:
I'm also from Israel and like you I first kept my beardie with a Repti-Glo 10 that she highly disliked.
I ordered a Megaray in April from kimbo's reptile world and so far I'm very happy that I did, my beardie changed her color to yellow, she's way more active, she gained weight and she's eating alot more, so yes, I think its the best UV bulb out there.

The 100 watt will suit your terrarium perfectly, to light the rest of your terrarium you can add some compact or liner fluorescents (that's what I did).
Just be aware to the fact that sometimes the Megaray wont output enough heat so you will have to supplement it with an extra bulb.

Use a ceramic / porcelain fixture, make sure that it's rated for at least 300 watt so you will be on the safe side, mine is rated for 1000 watt.

This is the exact fixture that I use, it cost's about 2$, I don't use a dome fixture as its kinda rare in here and much more expensive.

2172.jpg

Thanks for the info. I will look into buying this nice bulb, but I'll probably get a dome fixture from the US for like $10 and a 120V mega ray 100W (i'll be using my converter to change the voltages to 220V)

andrewlloyd

Juvie Member
Sorry to hijack the thread..
But i have a question about the Megaray..
is it normal for it to make a slight buzzing noise?

Its not really loud, but i can hear it when i open my slidding doors and place my head slightly in the enclosure..

Would it be irritating Chace? Or would it be fine?
Does anyones else do it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buddy- The Bearded Dragon
Top Bottom