[MEGAGUIDE] Keeping Blaptica Dubia Feeder Roaches

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pixall

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Wow, BeardedAaliyah, I am so sorry! I don't know how I managed to miss your questions! While you probably answered your questions on your own by now, I will take a crack at them.

As far as your baby being able to eat adults at 9 months, it REALLLY depends on the dragon! My Starkiller isn't large enough to eat adult males, and Star is 15 months old! He was only 6.5" at 9 months though(rescue). I probably am babying him though, he slurps adult superworms down no sweat. :p Arabella is very picky about her food. (seriously. She may even have more quirks than Star :roll: :lol: ) She could probably handle an adult, but she prefers hers at a medium-large nymph size. Silly little thing. If my math is right, she is around seven months old.

I don't honestly feel qualified to answer your question about the heat light, as I have never used one for the roaches. The human heating pads strike me as a lot safer than the reptitherm I use. Especially monitored with a digital thermometer and a thermostat if you want to be double safe.

Males do have wings, and you can easily tell nymphs from both adult genders. I don't know how to describe it, but adult females have wing stubs, and they tend to be shinier and have more of their signature 'orange spots'. The nymphs of all sizes will look like rolly-polly bugs, I have seen subadults to have the top two sections of their abdomen to have what I have come to call "wing horns" which is to say, their bodies kind of hook out? It is hard to describe, but in two weeks when I get home, I will snag some snazzy photos for you. :)

As far as cleaning what some people do is go out to Home Depot and buy two or three of the five gallon Homer Paint Buckets, and drill some holes in the bottom of all but one. You want to then stack the buckets inside of each other and pour the roaches in. Much like in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xcjQKEobxo

And it isn't called poo, it is "frass" ;) :lol:

My personal colony is doing very well. My dragons eat off it, my superworm colony, and my waxworm culture(as a treat only). They also get plenty of salads, and the occasional cricket to mix it up(for Star, Bella won't touch the darn things, lol)

Flynnthedragon

Hatchling Member
that was a lot of nymphs haha I hope i never get that many, I wouldn't even beable to sell off all those :p Also thanks a bunch for the info! Just ordered a starter kit for these nasty little bugs from a member on here :) My beardy better not be picky :p

Pixall

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Haha guys! :p Flynn, you would really be surprised how many dubia the little guys can put away. o.o I am starting a business selling all sorts of feeders once my populations explode some more, so I can tell ya, there is a pretty darn high demand to the lil buggers. :p

Also, in time you sort of start looking at the roaches as little pets. o.o Weird, but true. :D

Flynnthedragon

Hatchling Member
Well they kind of are pets :) and yeah I can imagine how many they eat.. MY beardy is just a lil guy so shouldn't eat TO many but a local petstore has cheap crickets and other feeders including dubias if hes a lil pig :p my start has 20 femals..... was thhinking of buying at least 40-50 more just to really jump start my colony lol. and a few more males

Pixall

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Really couldn't hurt. Depends on how much longer you want to live in the pocket of the pet shop. :p

Shoulon

Pixall":2p0sstdu said:
Really couldn't hurt. Depends on how much longer you want to live in the pocket of the pet shop. :p

A starter kit + a nice split order of 500 Adults and 500 Mix should do the trick ;) (over kill lol)

Flynnthedragon

Hatchling Member
Ok so i was at home depot today since they had the water crystals and screen i need and picked up a sterilite 45 gal tub as well.. i have the hole for ventilation already done and screened up and right now i have a human heat pad on the bottom... I went to feel it and the air was room temp and the bottom was hardly warm. What is the BEST heat source to safely use with this? this tub will most likely stay in my room where i have Laminate wood flooring. I was talking to the person i bought my dubia from and she uses Flexx WattHeat tape as well on some of hers. I live in Washington state and has been fairly cold. Would one of those repti under tank heaters work safely? i would probably tape it to the side as well as keep the heating pad underneath. I will be getting the dubias thursday hopefully at the latest and would love to get something i didn't have to order online :) maybe just get 3 more heating pads and place on all sides? lol

The vent hole i have on top is a good 6x5 and i still do have the plastic that got cut out, i could easily fill the hole a bit , And if i got a CHE to place over the vent would the lamp melt the plastic?

AtlasStrike

Sub-Adult Member
I love repti-therm UTHs. I use them for my snakes and also for my Dubia colony. I've been using them on plastic bins for the apst 3 years with no problems, you just have to make sure they are properly regulated, same as a human heat pad. I use table top lamp dimmers as rheostats and the hydrofarm thermostats for heat mats. Everything works great, and the energy costs, even with 5 UTHs going is very low.

Flynnthedragon

Hatchling Member
i might a UTH then and slap on the side with the heat pad on the bottom on medium heat. I usually use the pad for my back after a long day at work and medium heat wouldnt be to hot as i usually fall asleep on on it while its on medium :p high gets to hot to lay of for a period of time, so with the hydrofarm thermostats, do you need to splice the heat pad to it? i dunno im not very good with electrical stuff so :p but if thats the case i know how, or do you just plug the heat mat into the thermostat

Flynnthedragon

Hatchling Member
sorry i ment the rheostat.. yeah I saw the plug in with that thermostat and will most likley just get that. dont even know what a rheostat is which is why i was wondering if it needed splicing got the 2 mixed up sorry :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom