**Mega Ray Issues** / Megaray RECALL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello John,

I am anxious to see the new test results as well! Definitely post the results when you are all completed with everything.
Thanks!

Tracie

Hi guys I am new to this forum. I recently purcased a T Rex 160 watt flood active UV heat bulb. After 2 days my beardie wouldnt open his eyes. I figured it was the new bulb and put his old one back in and the problem stopped. Does the t rex bulb fall under the recall? Because I would like to get a new non defected one. Or is the t rex bulb a completely different company? Thanks

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Well TRex is a different company that has not as of yet done a voluntary recall HOWEVER they are using the same manufacturer as Megaray and many of us who have used the recent bulbs are indeed experiencing similar symptoms.How far away is your 160 watt bulb from the top of your beardie's head while basking?

The bulb is about 10 inches from the basking spot. I know that's a little close but I had my old bulb there for years and never had a problem. Is there a person I can email that works for t rex because I am a little upset for spending 50 dollars on a defected item that could have harmed my dragon? Thanks

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
johnnyd5844":97f72 said:
The bulb is about 10 inches from the basking spot. I know that's a little close but I had my old bulb there for years and never had a problem. Is there a person I can email that works for t rex because I am a little upset for spending 50 dollars on a defected item that could have harmed my dragon? Thanks
Ok I am not sure what bulb you had last but a 160 watt TRex cant be any closer then 18 inches and that is the bare minimum so I would hazzard to guess that may be part of the problem.I recommend you move it to the proper distance and see of that helps before assuming the bulb is bad.

BadCon

Sub-Adult Member
What the above poster said. The MINIMUM safe distance is 18" to the top of the beardie, and thats the bare minumum...it should really be another 3 or 4 inches higher. At 10" your cooking your poor beardie.

Look at the box, it lists the minum safe distance right on it.

Ok thanks guys good thing I got on this site before it was to late. Have any of you ever used the t rex active uv bulb and if so did you like it? Also does t rex have an email address that I can email to see if I could get a replacement? I cant find one online. Thanks

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I have used the T-rex before, but, it has been awhile. I don't have the personal email to contact them. You should be able to write customer service to get some information, or call them to try & get a replacement bulb or a refund whichever your preference is.
How is your dragon doing today?

Tracie

He is doing great. I have his old bulb in and his strip uvb on. His eyes started to open the day after I took the t rex bulb out. The first 2 days with the t rex bulb were great. He was showing the nicest color I had ever seen on him and he was noticeably MUCH more active and eating more. That's why I want to try to get a replacement bulb that isn't defected because I was so happy at first with it.

Hi does anyone know if t rex was useing the defected glass like the other companies. I emailed the place I bought the bulb from and they said all of the t rex bulbs are fine. But someone on here said they aren't?
Thanks

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
We don't know for sure if they have or haven't changed the bulbs recently. Some of our beardies have experienced some eye issues though. Frances Baines is in contact with T-Rex though and checking into it further.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Unfortunately, we don't know if T-rex is using the same bulbs with the same wavelength or not. As Diane stated, there have been reports of eye problems with them, so, we are going to have to tread with caution if purchasing them & watch your reptiles closely that are under a T-rex bulb.
I hope this mess gets ironed out soon.

Tracie

GoFast

Gray-bearded Member
I hope John doesn't mind but I had emailed John this morning and he was nice enough to get back to me. Here is his response:

We are actually fixing the bulbs as of Monday, but it is a time consuming process, and I have not had a chance to actually sit down and write anything up yet. I am falling behind on my emails as well, but I need to really focus on actually fixing the bulbs at the moment. But I hope to have everything back on track as of the end of this week, and I have new product coming in end of next week.

Sincerely,

John M. Wolff

Shipping Manager

Reptile UV

gulfbrzdawn

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Thanks Nick! I was thinking of emailing John just yesterday about their progress. Glad to hear an update! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HeathLizard
Top Bottom