Mega Ray Bulbs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary251

Hi, Im really looking into buying a Megaray bulb (100w SB) for my 4ft x 18" x 18" viv and was wondering what there like? I've heard some strange things like something about green light being emitted so you need to put an ordinary housebulb next to it to even the lighting out or sumthing? also do you need to use a dome with it? and what is the brightness like on them? and would i still need my Reptisun UVB running along the lenght of the viv? seems weird that the megaray could full light a ft viv.

Thanks guys

Gary

amylee159

Gray-bearded Member
I love the mega ray. Nope..you wouldnt need your reptisun anymore. The mega ray is both your UV light and heat source. I put a regular household bulb on the other end of the enclosure because beardies do like bright light, and I feel like one bulb doesn't light the tank up enough. I find that buying a deep dome fixture is best for the mega ray, since they are larger then a regular bulb.

elisabaker

Hatchling Member
I use Mega-Ray bulbs. I always keep an extra one on standby in case the first goes out so I don't have to worry about waiting for one to ship. Tang's cage is 5 X 2 X 2. I have the Mega-Ray on the left side of his cage over his basking platform. I also have 2 - 4' long regular UV bulbs going along the length of his cage for extra light. He seems to love the Mega-Ray better than the regular incandescent bulb and Reptisun I used to use. His color is alot more orange and bright since i started using the Mega-Ray.

Gary251

Original Poster
So u use the mega ray and hav a reptisun in your viv yeh? is this too much UVB? since the megarays produce lots of UVB anyway? and these regular UV bulbs are they just like the same as a reptisun tube? but dont produce UVB, just light correct?

Cheers!

elisabaker

Hatchling Member
Gary251":1b5fb said:
So u use the mega ray and hav a reptisun in your viv yeh? is this too much UVB? since the megarays produce lots of UVB anyway? and these regular UV bulbs are they just like the same as a reptisun tube? but dont produce UVB, just light correct?

Cheers!
I just have a Mega-Ray and two regular non UVB producing tubes. The ones you use in the kitchen or garage, they just give off light. With the Mega-Ray you don't need any other means of UVB.

Gary251

Original Poster
lol my bad. thought you said you had the reptisun on the left side of his tank (god knows where i got that from! lol) Ok thanks! yeh think i will change to the mega ray. Need a good fixture for the megaray now though (when i buy one). Do you know any sites that sell good fixtures for the megarays that would fit in my tank (it doesnt have a screen top so would have to be placed inside the viv)?

Thanks in advance!

elisabaker

Hatchling Member
I use the 100 Watt SB Mega-Ray:
http://www.reptileuv.com/megaray-sb-100-watt-self-ballasted-flood-uvb-lamp.php

I use a Zoo Med Black Deluxe 10 in Brooder Lamp for Reptiles for the Mega-Ray:
http://www.amazon.com/Black-Deluxe-Brooder-Lamp-Reptiles/dp/B0002DIWWS

I use a Reptile Lamp Stand to keep the Mega-Ray above the screen a few inches to get the correct temps.
http://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-Reptile-Lamp-Stand/dp/B000255OUO

Here's are some pics of how Tang's lights are setup:

1e06l4.jpg

23s7meo.jpg

35n0e15.jpg

And here's a recent pic of Tang :)

vy3vgx.jpg

LQDragons

Juvie Member
you don't need a dome, all you need is a lamp holder that is ceramic or porcelin. They can be found at your local hardware store,

Home Depot $1.50
keyless.jpg

amime

Hatchling Member
don't want to hi-jack or anything but I have a followup question about the Mega-ray

I'm hoping to get one for my 4'x2'x2' enclosure and I was going to be hanging it inside in a dome fixture. I was considering putting one of those cage things over the dome to be sure the little guy can't possibly burn himself but will this interfere with the amount of UVB getting through?

LQDragons

Juvie Member
amime":14689 said:
don't want to hi-jack or anything but I have a followup question about the Mega-ray

I'm hoping to get one for my 4'x2'x2' enclosure and I was going to be hanging it inside in a dome fixture. I was considering putting one of those cage things over the dome to be sure the little guy can't possibly burn himself but will this interfere with the amount of UVB getting through?

The Mega-Ray bulbs have a minimum distance from the basking surface, the SB100 for instance, that distance is 12". IMHO if you follow the giude lines @ ReptileUV , you won't need the cage. I would like to know how you hang a dome fixture on a solid lid ? I'm sure it can be done, I've just never seen it

rocko2527

Elisabaker are you happy with the showcase cage.I plan on getting one but im not sure if they are worth it, but then again if I make one out of melamine I know that it wont hold up as long as a plastic cage.

elisabaker

Hatchling Member
rocko2527":a619e said:
Elisabaker are you happy with the showcase cage.I plan on getting one but im not sure if they are worth it, but then again if I make one out of melamine I know that it wont hold up as long as a plastic cage.
I love it! Tang seems to love it too. It's so easy to clean! It's pretty light weight also for the size. The glass doors tilt out to make it easier to clean and transport also.

I made this platform for him out of styrafoam and grout. He goes underneath it to sleep most the time or just to hide. I have a tank heater underneath the platform under the cage. The cage has a special indention just for the undertank heater. It's pretty nice.
2rz2ao3.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylis342
Top Bottom