Meet Spyro!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spyro09

Hello all! I am brand new to bearded dragons well.. Any reptile really! I have had Spyro for a little over a week now and I am truly in love! I did tons of research and have the perfect beardie set up as far as I know! I am wondering when Spyro will shed for the first time! She is only about 7 inches long right now and she has been opening and closing her mouth and I read that it may be stretching her skin to prepare for shedding! Any advise would be helpful!

Rampagingraptor

Sub-Adult Member
Welcome to the forums! Its always good to see a new beardie owner!
You can run over your setup for us if you want so we can give you suggestions of what would be best. For example, your temperatures, the type of UVB light you use, the temperatures, the substrate you use, how big your tank is, What do you feed your beardie, how much do you feed him, do you have any other animals, etc etc. The entire site is very knowledgeable with bearded dragons and can help you with anything!
You should try posting some pictures of your beardie and tank as well! To post a picture, first you upload to here https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/#new
And then press the XIMG button when you go to make a post.
If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

Spyro09

Original Poster
Thank you!
Well Spyro is in a 40 gallon tank and I use a 75wt storm light for a basking bulb. I have a repti sun 10.0 24in uvb strip bulb mounted inside the tank so no uvb gets filtered out. I also use a ceramic heat emitter on the cool side of the tank so it stays around 85 degrees Fahrenheit and the hot side is at about 105 degrees farenheit and at night all of this goes off and the tank gets down to about 70.. I have two thermometers, one for each side..I have tile for the substrate because it's easier to clean than carpet.. And Spyro eats kale in the morning and then about 10-15 crickets in the evening.. I do it that way because I work all day. Right now she is about 7 inches long. I also feed her the occasional meal worm and strawberries. I give her a bath everyday when I get home from work because I know it helps with shedding.. I don't think I left out anything lol.. She was brighter when I first got her so I definitely think she is about to shed!
86131-5565582802.jpg
86131-3873097757.jpg

HKzForDayz

Sub-Adult Member
At this age, you should be feeding live food 2-3x a a day, letting your baby eat as many as she can in a 10-15 minute period. you will see that on some days this will increase your food intake quite a bit, but it is necessary for a growing dragon.

Also, I wouldnt use kale as a staple green. Kale, like spinach, is high in oxalates which hinders calcium absorbtion. I like to do a medley, some squash, and a variety of greens.

Spyro09

Original Poster
Ok! I will start feeding her crickets in the morning as well! Is it true if u give the crickets veggies as gut load it will give the beardie nutrients that way?

HKzForDayz

Sub-Adult Member
Yes it is very true, Gut loading is a great way to get extra nutrients.

a lot of us have found, especially at a young age, that feeding Dubia Roaches instead of crickets can be much more efficient, nutritious, and surprisingly cleaner. They will keep for much longer without dying. Crickets die easily, and because of the gases they emit when dead, tend to have a domino effect. if you go that route just make sure you dont feed anything longer then the width of your beardies head.

I breed dubia for my dragons, and i gutload a mixture of alfalfa powder and leftover veggies.

Spyro09

Original Poster
Oh and to answer the first question.. I also have a shih tzu and 2 fish tanks! But this is my first reptile ever!! And I was wondering how big should my beardie be before I can take her with me places! I want to be able to take her out with me and I want to get her use to it as a baby but I didn't want to scare her to death!

Spyro09

Original Poster
Awesome! Yeah I read that roaches were good for them and easy to breed..where do you get your roaches because all of the pet stores in my area do not carry roaches..

HKzForDayz

Sub-Adult Member
Spyro09":1ctgytyz said:
Awesome! Yeah I read that roaches were good for them and easy to breed..where do you get your roaches because all of the pet stores in my area do not carry roaches..

I buy mine from dubiaroaches.com

once you get your colony big enough, as long as the roaches have proper breeding enviroment, they are easy to keep self sustaining

Spyro09

Original Poster
Thanks!
So little Spyro is shedding! It is coming off in big pieces! Is it of to give Spyro a bath right now or should I wait?

Rampagingraptor

Sub-Adult Member
You can give him a bath, just make sure that you don't yank off any skin that isn't falling off (or any, just to be safe). Your beardie will take of most of it himself as he moves around. Look out for any shed that is sticking around for much longer than it should, though.

Spyro09

Original Poster
Ok looks like it happened really quick! There are only a few pieces left and her head went from grey to bright over night and I didn't even see the shedding!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom