Meathead has some issues...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MeatHead

Hatchling Member
Ok my girl friend Erika and I just bought a house. As you know it takes 30 days to close so we decided to save money and move out of our apartment and have moved back in with our parents (I went to my moms, she went to her dads) and I took our 9 month old MeatHead and she took our 2 month old baby beardie Cora. Cora is doing fine and eating like the little pig she is. MeatHead on the other hand quit eating lunch and dinner. She has been on a routine ever since we had her where she eats at 8:00AM 12:30PM and 6:00PM. At each sitting she is offered as many supers/phoenix/hornworms as she would like. Usually she eats about 30 large phoenix worms, 25 large supers, or about 6 medium horn worms. Per sitting. Now every morning she eats about 25 Supers, and a salad and then wont eat for the rest of the day. She has stress marks across her belly but she is still very alert and very active. I have rechecked her temps and everything. Her viv is 100% the same as it was at the apartment. I just need to know if this is normal behavior for her age or if I have something wrong so here is the list of basic questions with my updated answers since our move:

How old is your dragon?

9-10 months

How long have you had your dragon?

8 Months

How long is your dragon?

19 inches from tip of nose to tip of tail

What is the sex of your dragon?

Female

What size enclosure do you have your dragon in?

155 Gallon Tank - L 48" X W 24" H X 28"

What type substrate do you have on the bottom of your tank?

Ceramic tile

Do you use UVB lights?

No

If so, Is it a coil, compact, fluorescent tube, or Mercury Vapor bulb?

MVB

What is the brand name and number of your bulb? Wattage (if MVB)?

MegaRay 160w

How old is your MVB bulb?

1 Month

How close can your dragon get to the MVB?

12-18 inches depending on where she wants to bask. Usually she stays right at the 12 inch mark.

Do you use a separate basking bulb? What kind and what is the wattage?

No

What are the basking temps?

105 F at 12 inches 92 F at 18 inches

What is the cool side temp?

82 F

Do you take the temps with a stick on thermometer, a digital thermometer with a wire and a probe end or a temp gun?

Accurite with wire prob but ordered a infared temp gun

Where exactly are you taking your basking temps?

I stick the probe directly ontop of her basking log where she normal sits directly under the MVB bulb.

Do you use a heat rock or heat pad?

No. I do put her on a human heat pad on low heat (aprox 90F) after her bath for half hour while I clean her viv.

What do you feed your dragon? Please be specific.

She gets large Super worms (1" - 1 1/2"), Medium Horn worms (1"-2") and Large Phoenix Worms. These we use as staple and mix her up day to day. She of course would rather eat nothing but Horn Worms. For treats we give her wax worms 2-3 a day.

For vegies she gets ONLY fresh turnip greens, cactus leaf, bell peppers, and a variety of yellow and green squash.

How often do you feed and what time do you feed (morning, afternoon, night)?

We feed 3 times daily. 8:00 in the morning (her light comes on at 7:00AM and goes out at 8:30PM) 12:30PM for lunch, and never after 6:00PM for diner. We don't wont her turning into a gremlin.... :)

Do you gutload (feed) your crickets, worms, etc?

Yes.

Do you use vitamin or calcium supplements? What brand(s)? How many days a week do you use each of them?

Once a week we dust her supers with Reptivite. 4 days out of the week we dust with a calcium supplement.

Is your dragon having regular bowel movements (poops)?

Yes. Usually daily but often its been once every other day. But they are normal health poops.

Do you bath your dragon? How often?

Yes. 4 times a week.

Do you mist your dragon or offer water other than in the bath?

No. We mist water on her veggies so they don't dry out quickly.

Does your dragon share an enclosure with another dragon?

NEVER.

Have you gotten a vet check and fecal done?

Yes about 3 months ago. Everything was going great with her.

If anyone can offer help or advise please let me know! My guess is its relocation stress and soon she will be ok... well before we have to put her threw it again when we move into our new house. My other guess could be she misses her other owner (Erika). I'm at a loss and hope you guys can shed some insight on what I might be doing wrong or if I'm worrying about nothing. Thanks everyone!

- Ken

spurlee01

BD.org Addict
I think you are exactly right. She's going through relocation stress and misses "mommy". Mine won't eat well when I leave either. Hopefully things get better soon. Occasionally Lilly has eaten for me (after refusing) if I gave her a few little pieces of cantaloupe first, you could try that.
Sara

AMHaak

Juvie Member
I would say too that she is still just stressed out from the move. When I moved into my new duplex about a year ago with my beardie he did the same thing. The other thing it could be is because she is getting older, and may not need as much food. As beardies get older they tend not to eat as much. My beardie went through this too, and it was right around the time he was turning one and half.

TazzysMamma

Sub-Adult Member
I agree here, poor little thing is just stressed out. She'll be fine. Just try to keep her home as stress free as possible - not too much activity around her etc... I would continue to hold her and talk to her as long as she seems relaxed when you do so. Maybe try hand feeding her a bit here and there to reassure her.

She'll be fine, beardies hate change - unfortunately lol.

BIG HUGE HUGS to you!!!!

Sandi

MeatHead

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks everyone, she just ate a big breakfast and left me a nice healthy surprise. I just hope she is getting what she needs, I hate to see her losing weight. :( She does love phoenix worms and my delivery wont be here until later today, perhaps offering her something other than Supers and Salad will lift her spirits.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,
I just had a comment regarding the Megaray 160watt. I would recommend, for safety, that it not be any closer to her than 16 inches. Since the basking temps at 18 inches are only getting 95, you may need to add a lower wattage bulb to be used in combination with the Megaray. That is a strong UVB light so the minimum distance is 16-18 inches.
Just want to make sure she is safe.
I think it is just a relocation phase. She should bounce right back! :D

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nohupics
Top Bottom