Measuring UVB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragonblade

I am wondering if there is a cheap way to measure UVB in a specific location in the cage. I have seen a couple of meters but mostly in the $200 range. Just wondering if anyone has stumbled on anything cheaper. Currently I have Draco in a 55 Gallon Viv, it has a screen I have a basking lamp , and a 2 foot long Reptisun 10.0, along with a 2 ft regular tube fluorescent next to the basking light. Just wanting to make sure he is getting enough. When bathe him I do it by a window so that he gets some there too.. (although I know the glass blocks most of the UVB, it's too cold here at the moment I think to let him hang out outside for any decent period of time).

Akeath

Gray-bearded Member
The cheapest UVB meter I've found is at reptiluv.com for $180. As long as he can get 6 inches within that Reptisun and it is less than 6 months old, it is safe to say he is getting enough though.

Akeath

Gray-bearded Member
The screen will get rid of some of the UVB, yes, but it should still be putting out enough given the conditions I mentioned before are met.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

The screen will filter out a small portion of the UVB light. Can you mount the Reptisun 10 underneath the screen with wires tying it to the screen? He will get much better output & exposure that way.
Unfortunately, UVB meters are not cheap. If you get the cheap ones, they are not always very accurate either. Some of them have filters on them that tend to skew the results of the UVB due to the way it is reading it. So it might not be including all of the readings for full accuracy. You are better off buying the better ones. Bobmac has a good one on his site at: http://www.reptileuv.com

Tracie

Dragonblade

Original Poster
He is currently about 7 inches from it. I will try to lower it a notch, I will see if I can think of a way to mount it under the screen.

LQDragons

Juvie Member
Dragonblade":2f012 said:
He is currently about 7 inches from it. I will try to lower it a notch, I will see if I can think of a way to mount it under the screen.

here's how I did one
DSC_0047-2.jpg

DSC_0049-1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom