Measures to help dying Beardie?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I absolutely agree, that either choice is right. It is understandable to not want her to suffer. She does
seem happy, with you which many times is much more comforting just to be there than to pass at a
place that isn't familiar. She knows how much you love her & no matter their age, it is always heart
breaking to have to go through all of this.

Tracie

Lexiegurl

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
LB (short for Little Bit, although he isn't little anymore!)
Thank you to everyone. I took her to the vet this afternoon and he took one glance at her and agreed that euthanasia was the right option at this point.

He confirmed her weight was unchanged from her visit in October and that all the weight was in her abdomen. He said it was likely a reproductive cancer/mass or could possibly have been liver cancer.

Although it was a very difficult decision, I know it was the right one. He also agreed she wasn't suffering, so I'm glad I was able to take care of her at the end and let her pass peacefully without pain.

The only downside is I couldnt be there for the actual process. The vet sedates with inhaled anesthesia and then gives the injection, so because of that I couldnt be present. Although I would have loved to comfort her and hold her in her final breaths, I know his staff cares for the animals like their own and I am a bit glad my last memory is of her alive.

I'll be able to get her body tomorrow (they hold them for 24 hours to ensure the meds aren't metabolized weirdly). She will be buried in my parents yard with her blanket and favorite stuffed animal she slept with.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Thank you to everyone. I took her to the vet this afternoon and he took one glance at her and agreed that euthanasia was the right option at this point.

He confirmed her weight was unchanged from her visit in October and that all the weight was in her abdomen. He said it was likely a reproductive cancer/mass or could possibly have been liver cancer.

Although it was a very difficult decision, I know it was the right one. He also agreed she wasn't suffering, so I'm glad I was able to take care of her at the end and let her pass peacefully without pain.

The only downside is I couldnt be there for the actual process. The vet sedates with inhaled anesthesia and then gives the injection, so because of that I couldnt be present. Although I would have loved to comfort her and hold her in her final breaths, I know his staff cares for the animals like their own and I am a bit glad my last memory is of her alive.

I'll be able to get her body tomorrow (they hold them for 24 hours to ensure the meds aren't metabolized weirdly). She will be buried in my parents yard with her blanket and favorite stuffed animal she slept with.
:(. I am so sorry- my ❤️ aches for you

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Sending my heartfelt sympathy to you, she will not suffer at all now and you can be assured that you did all you could to give her a great, long life.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am so sad with you, I know the heart break of losing a precious dragon. :cry: I know that she knew she
was loved & she appreciated your care. I am sorry for your loss.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stihlgirl
Top Bottom