Mealworms

Status
Not open for further replies.

drgnfly2265

Sub-Adult Member
Hmmm, interesting thread. Wish I could list of a scientific book that would say that mealworms are not the best feeder, but I can not. But I believe that raising beardies and talking about the health of beardies a science in itself. I found that talking to others with experiences of different good and bad scenarios a lot of help in ways that a book couldn't. When I see and hear about what others are doing that are making their beardies healthy it's a great learning experience. When I see someone new join with a beardie with a health issue and one of the first things that they switch from are mealies and feed something healthier, it's amazing when the beardie gets healthier! I don't know what better proof can be shown. I can personally see the difference between my two beardies. My oldest beardie is stunted from the wrong info that I got and followed. She is very very small for her age. But my youngest beardie I had the whole time that I have been on this site. And with the information that I got from here I can say that she is big and healthy.

Hopefully I don't sound crazy. I had a long day and I'm very tired, lol.

Beardednoob

BD.org Addict
drgnfly2265":2h43bsgg said:
Hmmm, interesting thread. Wish I could list of a scientific book that would say that mealworms are not the best feeder, but I can not. But I believe that raising beardies and talking about the health of beardies a science in itself. I found that talking to others with experiences of different good and bad scenarios a lot of help in ways that a book couldn't. When I see and hear about what others are doing that are making their beardies healthy it's a great learning experience. When I see someone new join with a beardie with a health issue and one of the first things that they switch from are mealies and feed something healthier, it's amazing when the beardie gets healthier! I don't know what better proof can be shown. I can personally see the difference between my two beardies. My oldest beardie is stunted from the wrong info that I got and followed. She is very very small for her age. But my youngest beardie I had the whole time that I have been on this site. And with the information that I got from here I can say that she is big and healthy.

Hopefully I don't sound crazy. I had a long day and I'm very tired, lol.

:wink:

ataraxia

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Back to the original topic.

Beardednoob - The goal is to stop the false accusations. Will it happen? Nope but it is always worth a shot :)

Beardednoob

BD.org Addict
ataraxia":h9upw1g1 said:
Back to the original topic.

Beardednoob - The goal is to stop the false accusations. Will it happen? Nope but it is always worth a shot :)

I have to ask.
When the majority of new people here are not very knowledgeable in the care of bearded dragons, what good does it do to suggest this feeder? Meaning if other people got here the same way I did, then there are issues/concerns. If I had been feeding my first dragon mealworms I am sure I could have provided you with the information you are seeking, however it may have been met with, well your husbandry was wrong or your dragon must not have been healthy. More then meets the eye , we are suggesting to people who are questioning the health of the dragon or their husbandry or their routines not to feed mealworms. Who's to say Johnny (just a name) doesn't read one post and find out mealworms are okay, so he starts to feed them, low and behold Johnny's husbandry is wrong. What relation does Johnny walk away with, what information did he gain? Was it proper?

You said so yourself..
ataraxia":h9upw1g1 said:
I am here for the animals well being
Really?

MissT

BD.org Addict
Ibelieve you said you did not use them as a staple diet which is what I referred to in my post. What I meant was that other people have comeon with beardies not going pottyand mealworms are their main source of protein in the beardies diet.

ataraxia

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardednoob":rpynypm7 said:
I have to ask.
When the majority of new people here are not very knowledgeable in the care of bearded dragons, what good does it do to suggest this feeder? Meaning if other people got here the same way I did, then there are issues/concerns. If I had been feeding my first dragon mealworms I am sure I could have provided you with the information you are seeking, however it may have been met with, well your husbandry was wrong or your dragon must not have been healthy. More then meets the eye , we are suggesting to people who are questioning the health of the dragon or their husbandry or their routines not to feed mealworms. Who's to say Johnny (just a name) doesn't read one post and find out mealworms are okay, so he starts to feed them, low and behold Johnny's husbandry is wrong. What relation does Johnny walk away with, what information did he gain? Was it proper?

You said so yourself..
ataraxia":rpynypm7 said:
I am here for the animals well being
Really?

Another post of "IF, i once heard, someone told me, i read it somewhere". You are here giving your opinion and hypothetical situations not facts.

Please explain to me what parts in a persons husbandry is going to distinguish a meal worm to any other feeder?

To play along with hypothetical situations. I see waxworms suggested as snacks as i do meal worms. Can Johnny also mistakenly use that info also? Except for the soft body, how about that fat and protein levels compared to meal worms?
http://chamownersweb.net/insects/nutritional_values.htm
http://www.grubco.com/nutritional_information.cfm

Look we can debate this all night. Back to the original thread topic "PLEASE PROVIDE ME A LINK".

MrWhite

Sub-Adult Member
the way I look at this subject is if there is a controversy, there must be a reason. Why would I take a chance with my pet when there are so many other feeders that don't seem to have any controversy. That is what I would tell any new owner if the subject comes up "why take the chance" It's just not worth it. I would tell them what I feed my beardie and why I feed them what I do.

ataraxia

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
MrWhite - the lack of experience with them puts some people on the fence.

MissT- Sorry i didnt read your post correctly :)

MrWhite

Sub-Adult Member
ataraxia":keb5a805 said:
MrWhite - the lack of experience with them puts some people on the fence with them.

I understand what you're saying, it's just that I would never recommend to someone, on the fence, something that is controversial without explaining the controversy and then tell them "I personally wouldn't take that chance". That's just my approach to giving advice :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dobby2012
Top Bottom