Mealworms or super-worms?

Beardie name(s)
Smaug
I want to know should I get mealworms or superworms? What ones better? My Beardy WILL NOT eat her salad and I’m wanting to try and get something to help her eat her salad and just something to add to her diet in general. But I don’t know what one is better/ what one will not impact her (I heard that one can impact her just can’t remember what one haha) is it even good to be feeding her them? There’s just si many different answers over the internet but I thought I would get a straight answer here. And she’s 1 year and 5 months old if that helps and also on a strict diet to lose weight.

Thanks.

rubi9229

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Pancake
I want to know should I get mealworms or superworms? What ones better? My Beardy WILL NOT eat her salad and I’m wanting to try and get something to help her eat her salad and just something to add to her diet in general. But I don’t know what one is better/ what one will not impact her (I heard that one can impact her just can’t remember what one haha) is it even good to be feeding her them? There’s just si many different answers over the internet but I thought I would get a straight answer here. And she’s 1 year and 5 months old if that helps and also on a strict diet to lose weight.

Thanks.
Personally I used to give my girl superworms but she never digested them well; I would always see the worms’ heads when she pooped in the bath. It definitely can make them constipated. I personally haven’t seen the same problem with mealworms since they’re so much smaller.

One of the best things that helps beardies eat their salads is bee pollen. Your girl will probably get good at picking out the worms and avoiding the greens, so it may only work for a little bit. Bee pollen, on the other hand, is like seasoning for the greens and makes them actually want to eat it.

If you’re trying to get her to lose weight I think adding fatty worms to her diet might affect her willingness to eat her salad even more. They‘re best as treats unless it’s all you can get (been there, more than once). Many people have had a hard time with picky beardies who only want their superworms. I would try a healthier feeder insect like dubia/discoid roaches or black soldier fly larvae. If mealworms or superworms are all you can get, you should still get them. She needs protein. Repashy is good too.

If you get bee pollen and she won’t try the salad, take a clump of the pollen and roll it on the ground near her. That’s how I got mine to finally try it and realize she loved it, because when it moves they want to hunt it like a bug, y’know?

What does her diet consist of now if you don’t mind me asking?

rubi9229

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Pancake
Ah, I just saw her diet on your profile. It looks like you’ve got really good staple feeders already. This is just my personal suggestion but I think you should try bee pollen before worms

Smaugthebeardy!

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Smaug
Ah, I just saw her diet on your profile. It looks like you’ve got really good staple feeders already. This is just my personal suggestion but I think you should try bee pollen before worms
Thank you, would you get bee pollen from the petshop or would you have to order it online if you know?

Glamamama

Hatchling Member

Thanks.
Neither, I would give dubia and BSFL those are the healthiest options. Super worms are really high in fat. They can cause gout and obesity. They are like the McDonald’s for bearded dragons. Mealworms have the hard exoskeleton some can cause impaction.

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
Thank you, would you get bee pollen from the petshop or would you have to order it online if you know?
we get ours from fred meyer in the health food section. not sure what the equivalent to that store would be where you're at though. it's a big chain grocery store

rubi9229

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Pancake
I ordered this one online, though I don't remember it costing this much: ABDRAGONS Bee Pollen Powder, 2-oz bag - Chewy.com
I know you're from Australia, so I imagine shipping gets expensive too. I suppose it wouldn't hurt to call your local pet store or grocery stores and see if they carry it! I hope you find some, good luck!

SkittlesK

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Kamo

Thanks.
I add Calci-grub to make the salad move & sometimes wax worms for enticing the dragon.
I'd wait to feed until the afternoon.

Top salads in the early morning W/ bugs.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Critter Guy
Top Bottom