mealworm poop

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi everyone today i fed my beardie a few mealworms along with superworms just because i didnt have enough supers, i only put less than 10 in the dish with around 15 supers and i just looked at his tank and there are dead mealworms everywhere in bunches some in half some whole im not sure if he vomitted them up or poop every single one out whole, he also had a normal sized poop but it was green but im guessing thats because he ate a bunch of lettuce this morning. i RARELY ever feed him mealworms but i have them because of my leopard gecko. please help i hope hes okay

Spikey92

Juvie Member
Hey there,

How old or rather how long is your beardie?
What are the temps in his tank ? Especially the basking temp and what kind of thermometer are u using?

Mealworms arent recommendet for beardies at all. Theres no nutrional value and they can easily get impacted.
If your beardie isnt big enough for supers either or the temps are too low youre beardie cant digest the food properly.

joehaggerty

Original Poster
101 basking temp using just a regular thermometer hes around 3 months and probably around 10-11 inches including a very nice long tail this is the first time this is happened and he seemed perfectly fine all day and actually just ate some crickets

Lenewen

Juvie Member
*small* superworms are okay but small supers are not sold in retail locations typically. You could order them online if you're dead set on superworms as a staple diet or you could just switch to crickets as a main staple until he gets bigger.

Sounds like he puked the mealworms. Just don't give them again, I am sure he is fine. :D

joehaggerty

Original Poster
when i said lettuce i meant greens, i know what to feed my dragon. fortunately they do sell small superworms around here. hes all good! thanks for the help

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Well, i'd respectfully disagree with that above statement.

Just because small superworms can be eaten doesn't mean they should. At the age of your dragon, his protein requirements are tremendous. The amount of protein he needs can no way ever be met with superworms alone without WAY too much fat also being introduced. This can cause very serious kidney problems later down the road.

Mealworms are also not a good choice at all.

You are better off sticking to crickets, dubias, silkworms, butterworms, and BSFL variants.

-Brandon

joehaggerty

Original Poster
i feel as if you people think im using only superworms he gets his fair share of crickets everyday including his greens in the morning. small supers are only used for when im at work for 10 hours. thank you for the info i will be feeding less supers now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HeathLizard
Top Bottom