MBD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tamtam

Hello Everyone!

I've noticed that my bearded dragon has developed an underbite which I assume is mbd :( . I'm obviously upset about this and was hoping someone might be able to offer insight as to the potential cause (and confirm whether it is mbd?).

I've tried to take some pictures. From the side, it looks like an underbite, and from the front, his mouth opens a little bit (he can close it completely, but I think it naturally sits like this):
100554-1788025140.jpg
100554-8025412345.jpg

I understand that this is normally a husbandry issue, so I'll try and provide some details:
His UVB light is a t5 tube, the brand is arcadia and it's 12%. It's got a reflector hood behind it, and there's nothing obstructing it (it's mounted to the bottom of the roof, so it's not going through a screen or anything).
He has 3 heat bulbs at the moment, 70 watts each (it's winter where I live, and they're just normal bulbs so they don't direct heat downward very well). I take the temperatures with an infra red temperature gun. It's about 40°C at the warmest (where he likes to bask), and on the cool side it's normally 25-30°C (depending on how cold the day is).
His heat lights are on a timer, they go on at 6:15 and off at 9:15 (so 15 hours on). I do his UV light manually, normally half an hour after/before the heat lights respectively (so about 14 hours on).
At night, he has an electric blanket underneath half of his tank (the people kind, not a heat mat or anything) which keeps it 18-20°C depending on how cold the night is.
He's about a year and a half old. He didn't have UV for a few months when he was younger (between about 2 and 4 months old, I think?), and only occasionally went out in the sun. At the time, I didn't see any signs of mbd. Since then, he's had the arcadia (I replaced the bulb when it got old but it's the same one). I'm fairly sure he's a male (but I haven't had a vet check). He did stop eating for several weeks at the start of winter, and I assumed he was going into brumation because all he did was sleep, but he's awake each day now. His behaviour seems normal enough, he's active and eating lots at the moment. He does "glass surf" a lot, I think he's going stir crazy but it's too cold to really take him out (sometimes I take him out just to cuddle, but I think he wants to run around).
He's not big on salad, eats maybe a few leaves on a good day? He mainly gets rocket, turnip greens, endive, mustard greens and less so kale, and sometimes I add berries or other vegetables. His diet mainly consists of crickets, which I dust most days with a mix of pure calcium and vitamin powder. Occasionally he'll eat some BSFL but he's not a big fan. I also offer him water using an eye dropper and dripping it on his snout.

That's all I can think of now, but please let me know if I've missed anything! I really just want to do the best I can for him, I feel so bad :(

Also, I was wondering if mbd is at all reversible, or if all I can do is try to stop it getting worse?

Thanks everyone

kyleena29

Sub-Adult Member
How old is the uvb? Can you measure how close he can get to the uvb? Do you happen to know what brand fixture you are using? How old is he now? How often are dusting with calcium and vitamins?

I had some weak reflectors and it affected one of my beardies with some minor kinks in the tail and an underbite just like yours. The physical appearance can't be reversed but you can stop it from getting worse.

Tamtam

Original Poster
kyleena29":3ribveuh said:
How old is the uvb? Can you measure how close he can get to the uvb? Do you happen to know what brand fixture you are using? How old is he now? How often are dusting with calcium and vitamins?
I just replaced the bulb, so it's about a week old. Before that it was around a year and 3 months old.
I'm using the arcadia fixture (arcadia luminaire).
He's about a year and a half old.
I'm dusting most days with a mix of both (probably 5-6 days every week)
At an eyeball I think he can get about 25cm from the UV at closest, but I can measure it properly this afternoon.

Tamtam

Original Poster
I measured the distance properly, the basking spot it 26cm from the UVB (he'll be a few cm closer if theuou fake the height of his body into account), it's on a slant so it ranged 26-30cm away.

If anyone can offer some advice I'd really appreciate it.

kyleena29

Sub-Adult Member
Distance sounds good. Are there any waviness in the tail? It could of been caused earlier like if he was growing too fast. If he is acting normal and eating well now the problem has probably already passed. The underbite will always be there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom