Maybe I am being nervous but please inform me

Status
Not open for further replies.

onyxbeardie

Hatchling Member
My Bearded Dragon (Onyx) was very alert yesterday although I dont know if he ate the crickets i gave him or not but today he is not active i dont know if he is just basking or what his breathing looks slow but i may just be trippin he is breathing lets say like normally how humans breath is this labored or regular breathing. his eyes have been closed alot and i rarely see him mve his head idk if he has eaten his crickets looks like he hasnt yet. I need to knw what can i do for him as far as feeding right now his tank temperature is 95 degress humidity is at 20 i dont know if he is suppose to look dry but please i need quick info

Elora

Sub-Adult Member
in order for anyone to give you quick info we need to know more about your dragon and how his tank is set up. If you answer these questions we can get to the bottom of this!

How old is your dragon?
How long have you had your dragon?
How long is your dragon?
What is the sex of your dragon?
What size enclosure do you have your dragon in?
What type substrate do you have on the bottom of your tank?
Do you use UVB lights?
If so, Is it a coil, compact, fluorescent tube, or Mercury Vapor bulb?
What is the brand name and number of your bulb? Wattage (if MVB)?
How old is your UVB bulb?
How close can your dragon get to the UVB?
Do you use a separate basking bulb? What kind and what is the wattage?
What are the basking temps?
What is the cool side temp?
Do you take the temps with a stick on thermometer, a digital thermometer with a wire and a probe end or a temp gun?
Where exactly are you taking your basking temps?
Do you use a heat rock or heat pad?
What do you feed your dragon? Please be specific.
How often do you feed and what time do you feed (morning, afternoon, night)?
Do you gutload (feed) your crickets, worms, etc?
Do you use vitamin or calcium supplements? What brand(s)? How many days a week do you use each of them?
Is your dragon having regular bowel movements (poops)?
Do you bath your dragon? How often?
Do you mist your dragon or offer water other than in the bath?
Does your dragon share an enclosure with another dragon?
Have you gotten a vet check and fecal done?

MrT

how long have you had him if only a day or two he might just need time to settle down
check his basking temp needs to be about 105f they need this to digest their food

try to never leave crickets in viv over night as if they are hungry they will bite beardie

LJean

Extreme Poster
Please answer the questions above as best you can. This makes things easier for us to help you.

onyxbeardie

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
How old is your dragon? Im not sure maybe a month or two
How long have you had your dragon? One Day
How long is your dragon? nt sure
What is the sex of your dragon? Not sure yet
What size enclosure do you have your dragon in? 20 Gallon Tank
What type substrate do you have on the bottom of your tank? Repti Cage Carpet
Do you use UVB lights? Yes
If so, Is it a coil, compact, fluorescent tube, or Mercury Vapor bulb? Coil
What is the brand name and number of your bulb? Wattage (if MVB)? not Sure
How old is your UVB bulb? a month
How close can your dragon get to the UVB? he bask right under it
Do you use a separate basking bulb? What kind and what is the wattage? i use an Infa red 75 watts
What are the basking temps? 100 f
What is the cool side temp? 30
Do you take the temps with a stick on thermometer, a digital thermometer with a wire and a probe end or a temp gun? wire probe
Where exactly are you taking your basking temps? in the tank
Do you use a heat rock or heat pad? heat Pad
What do you feed your dragon? Please be specific. baby Crickets but he is not eating them
How often do you feed and what time do you feed (morning, afternoon, night)? twice to three
Do you gutload (feed) your crickets, worms, etc? Crickets
Do you use vitamin or calcium supplements? What brand(s)? How many days a week do you use each of them? vitamin
Is your dragon having regular bowel movements (poops)? not yet
Do you bath your dragon? How often? Not yet
Do you mist your dragon or offer water other than in the bath? no but i will try that
Does your dragon share an enclosure with another dragon? no
Have you gotten a vet check and fecal done? not yet

LJean

Extreme Poster
onyxbeardie":c21af said:
Do you use UVB lights? Yes
If so, Is it a coil, compact, fluorescent tube, or Mercury Vapor bulb? Coil
Coil uvb bulbs have been known to cause problems with bearded dragons. You will need to replace this bulb asap. Reptisun 10 linear bulb ( please do not go with reptiglo)

How close can your dragon get to the UVB? he bask right under it
Each bulb has a safe distance for basking. Being too close can cause injury; too far can cause lack of the uvb.
Do you use a separate basking bulb? What kind and what is the wattage? i use an Infa red 75 watts
Red bulbs are not helpful. Beardies like bright light during the day. No light at night.
What are the basking temps? 100 f
What is the cool side temp? 30
30 degrees f? Can you repost?
Where exactly are you taking your basking temps? in the tank
Basking spot temps mean just that. What exactly is the temperature on the actual basking sopt
Do you use a heat rock or heat pad? heat Pad
why do you use a heat pad?

Do you gutload (feed) your crickets, worms, etc? Crickets
Gutloading means what do you feed the feeders before feeding? LOL tongue twister. What the bugs eat, is what your dragon eats.
Do you use vitamin or calcium supplements? What brand(s)? How many days a week do you use each of them? vitamin
Baby dragons needs a calcium supplement 5 days a week (one feeding) and multivitamin 2 days a week (one feeding)
Is your dragon having regular bowel movements (poops)? not yet
Do you bath your dragon? How often? Not yet
Young dragons can get dehydrated easily. It is best to bathe them daily. Lukewarm water up to their arm pits. Must be watched so they do not drown.

onyxbeardie

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Also using a heating Pad is all I can afford they dont have any heating rocks here in dc at any of the pet stores and i dont have an bank account or credit card to shop online

Embee

Gray-bearded Member
onyxbeardie":3d22b said:
If I cut the light off at night what other heating source could I use for him?

onyxbeardie":3d22b said:
Also using a heating Pad is all I can afford they dont have any heating rocks here in dc at any of the pet stores and i dont have an bank account or credit card to shop online

If the room in which you house your beardie does not go below 65 degrees at night, no supplemental nighttime heat is needed. If the room does go below 65 at night, you can use a ceramic heat emitter (CHE), which gives off only heat, but no light. In a pinch, you can use the UTH (pad), however, affix the pad to the side of the tank, rather than bottom. It's not ideal, but is somewhat safer for beardie. No worries about not being able to find a heat rock, as they are also unsafe for beardies.

In looking at your tank set up, however, your biggest issue right now is that coil UVB bulb. You need to remove it ASAP. Coils are infamous for emitting low levels of UVB (not nearly enough for beardie), and can also damage beardie's eyes. If you do a search on the health/behavior/ER forums you will find plenty of evidence of this. The low level of UVB fails to stimulate beardie's appetite and growth. Also to be avoided are all compact bulbs. For a 20 gallon tank you want (as LJean mentioned), a ReptiSUN 10.0, 18 inch. You can find an inexpensive fixture for it at your local hardware store. Take it from one who's been there, don't go another day with that coil light on. And to reiterate what LJean mentioned, beardies need BRIGHT light in the tank. Not only do they prefer it, the bright light guards their eyes from the UVB bulb. Red lights are unncessary for any purpose, for beardies, and this includes at nighttime, as beardies prefer total darkness at night.

Just wanted to 'here here" everything LJean said.

The best,
Em

onyxbeardie

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
This is Onyx's Tank
022.jpg

And This is Onyx taken this morning
020.jpg

This is The Light I use for him it says on it Only from reptiles and it is made by Zilla
023.jpg

MrT

unfortunatly coils are not great for beardies its better if you get a tube as stated above also you need a spotlight rather than the red light a ordinary 100 watt spotlight bulb is best and is cheaper than a bulb made for reptiles at night time turn off all lights they can cope with temps around 60f no problem if it does get colder buy a ceramic bulb these only produce heat no light
he needs to be able to get to about 12 inches from the uva/b lamp/tube its no good if its further away
also try to buy a digital termometer as the dial ones are not to accurate

hope this helps

some times the answers are a bit abrupt but they have be sometimes for your animals health is the main priority

if you need more help
dont be afraid to ask
good luck

onyxbeardie

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
just by looking at him how old would u say he is i knw he is still a baby but approximatley How old would u say he is

MrT

all babies sleep alot no matter what they are, its a way of conserving energy
from pics i would say two months (but that could be way out as they all grow at different speeds)

you need to get his set up changed as the lights are wrong for him he needs to get within 12 inches of the UV light this must be a tube not a coil as they can harm their eyes( i learnt that from experience and vet bills)

also get a household spotlight bulb instead of a red light that is no good either as they like to find light to bask under

find a few rocks and clean them buy pouring boiling water with a little bleach over them and then giving them a good scrub then again pour boiling water over them untill you can not smell the bleach you can use branches but scrub them with boiling water as with the rocks then stick them in the oven for a few hours to kill anything thats on them and dry them right through

onyxbeardie

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
D u have a picture of what the tube light may look like so when i go to the pet store i can get it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milosmom
Top Bottom