Mating and egg laying?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gregcranston

Hatchling Member
Hi guys just wondering if anyone knows how short a time after mating can a female beardie produce fertile eggs? My male and female were put together on 9th October, and mated straight away, then she laid 19 eggs last night 21st Oct, 12 days later. These eggs actually look quite good, but it is a bit too early to candle them.
My other female laid an infertile clutch before she was even put with the male and then a second infertile clutch 7 days after she went with the male. But those eggs were very crappy looking compared to the ones laid last night by my red female.
So I guess my question is how late in the development of the eggs inside the female can the eggs be fertilised? Can some of the pre-development happen before the mating and then mating occurs where they are fertilised?
btw, the hot end of my tank is about 106 degrees and cool end about 90 degrees. Thanks is advance! :D :D

TheWolfmanTom

Extreme Poster
What more do you want Greg??
There is no pre-development.
From mating to egg laying is 2 to 4 weeks.
Average is 21 days. Unless your male mated sooner than you think. I dont know.

gregcranston

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks Tom, that's a heap better than your first response, a bit more detail. Where did you find out about the biology of beardies? I searched for a long time before I posted this thread and found no in depth reproductive biology info.

TheWolfmanTom

Extreme Poster
Ive been a dragon breeder, for 6 to 7 years now. 1st as a hobby, now for a living.
I tend to answer questions short and sweet....lol.

gregcranston

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
No worries, yes I've been a dragon breeder for around 5 and a half years now also, but this is the first time anything like this has happened, lol. In the past they either laid fertile eggs which resulted in babies, or no eggs at all. None of this infertile egg stuff, although I'd heard of it happening quite a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heidib715
Top Bottom