Mangled Beardie Toe! Please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
My bd has had a injured toe for about 2 weeks now. The cause of the injury is unknown I noticed it while giving him a bath. The toe is red, raw, partially bleeding, and some scales are falling off. I have no idea whats happened and I'm really worried for my baby. Any advice would be welcomed. If it helps he is still actively eating salad and crickets, he acts normal other than the fact his toe seems useless, I know he can still feel it though because when I touch it he flinches. Please help and tell if theres anything I can do or if it'll heal on its own.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, is he housed with another dragon ? If so separate them. If not, it might be that he smashed it somehow or if there was a retained shed there he may have bitten it himself to try to remove the skin. You can use some raw honey [ from health food store ] on it or plain Neosporin. If you use honey, be sure there are no loose bugs in the tank.

Can you post a few pics of his foot as well as his tank set up ? Here's how :

https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Then use the XIMG to attach pics

Babybeardie3

Original Poster
I've been using nesporin but it just looks worst. It swelled up and is black and red in some places. It still bleeds if he reopens it. And no he does live with another beardie I got my other one a seperate cage a few months ago. He still eats fine and poops once every other day, I just have no idea whats wrong with his foot.

JessPets

Gray-bearded Member
Try putting some raw honey on it (but make sure there are no bugs in the cage at all)
Do you feed him crickets? It's possible one of them bit him

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
It looks like a bite, to me.
It's possible he bit himself due to discomfort caused by shed or an insect bite as mentioned.

I also recommend the raw honey method. Richter bit his own toe and mangled it. It remained black and twisted even after applying honey each night before bed. It eventually died, dried up, and fell off, and it hasn't changed a thing about him. He just has a stubby toe now

Babybeardie3

Original Poster
So if it ends up dying and falling off I don't have to worry about infection or having to taking him to a herp vet?

JessPets

Gray-bearded Member
Babybeardie3":27eoytpk said:
So if it ends up dying and falling off I don't have to worry about infection or having to taking him to a herp vet?

There's still the possibility it will get infected. Keep a close watch on it, and if it gets worse, contact a herp vet immediately.

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
JessPets":3o3i5bw3 said:
Babybeardie3":3o3i5bw3 said:

There's still the possibility it will get infected. Keep a close watch on it, and if it gets worse, contact a herp vet immediately.

Definitely check it over, but raw honey would help kill off any infection now.
Here's how Richter's looks healed up
89300-4662179756.jpg
89300-6072079278.jpg

It just looked black and crispy looking, then days later it was gone. I have no idea where it fell off at. Maybe I'll find a toe one day

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yeah that will work. Just coat the wound with it using a q-tip or similar so it forms a protective layer and re-apply as needed.

Babybeardie3

Original Poster
Okay thank you for your help. I hope you won't mind if I continue posting questions and updates about this subject. Thanks again :)

JessPets

Gray-bearded Member
Babybeardie3":2arwbyyu said:
Okay thank you for your help. I hope you won't mind if I continue posting questions and updates about this subject. Thanks again :)

Not at all! We are here to help :D If you have any questions at all, we will do our best to help answer them!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stump5150!
Top Bottom