Male Or Female?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frogsong

I purchased a Bearded dragon from Bearded.co. RioReptiles.com, in October, 2010. They sold it to me as a female, but I'm pretty sure it's a male. It's about 8 months old now. I took lots of pictures hoping you guys would be able to see it well enough to tell me for sure. What do you think?
tangerine002.jpg

tangerine003.jpg

tangerine005.jpg

tangerine010.jpg

Adama

I would agree with their initial suggestion: female. The best angle to get is from the back with their tail lifted up slightly. That is the best way to expose the organs just below the vent. I do see a slight dip/bump and no distinct two bumps. A male that large should have a proper two bumps by now.

Yours looks more like the female:
sexing_female.jpg

than the male:
sexing_male.jpg

Frogsong

Original Poster
Duh! Thanks you guys. I knew a male had two bumps and the female had one, but apparently I was looking in the wrong place. LOL

I have another adult female and wanted to house the two females together. Now, this one is big enough to put with my other female, but when I put them together, this one attacked my adult female so I took her back out.

I thought you could house females together with no problems. Should I have left them together to get used to each other, or should I be worried about one of them getting hurt?

Adama

You can have problems housing any two animals together. With beardies, female female is the least problematic, but that's not a guaranteed success. Someone else may have better advice for helping them get along, but I would recommend separate housing myself, as I would for any non-mating related, long-term arrangements.

Gail

BD.org Addict
If they were fighting then most likely they will never get along. The few times I've heard of females living together is when they were raised together from babies. Best to keep them separate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HeathLizard
Top Bottom