Male Beardie Kicking Dirt

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrStripes

Background information: I have a 9mo male bearded dragon. His terrarium bedding has been paper towels, but just recently switched over to a 50% tile 50% excavator clay because he was trying to dig into the paper towels.

When I set up his excavator clay, I made sure to pack it and keep it tidy. This afternoon I found his sediment all over his terrarium, so I decided to watch him closely. He has been getting into the dirt and aggressively kicking with his left back leg, spraying the dirt all over the place. I initially thought there was something stuck to his foot, but I bathed him and he is still doing it. Is this a dominance thing, or a burrowing thing, or maybe he is marking his territory? I'm not sure but I found it weird.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It's likely just burrowing behavior which is somewhat typical for them. It can get messy with a clay or dirt substrate, but I'd try to accommodate it as long as you can deal with the frequent cleanup required. Moving to a bioactive setup might be a good option too. Still messy, but a bit more self contained/cleaning after initial setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom