male and female

Status
Not open for further replies.

shawnie07

Hey Everyone!
I have a male and a female bearded dragon that are housed separately but their homes are side by side (They can't see each other). My female keeps laying eggs, I was wondering if anyone would be able to tell me if she would be able to smell the male and if that would be why she keeps laying? I dont want to breed them, they have never been together to breed but she is currently laying her 4th clutch of eggs in 2-3 months. I have been giving her lots of calcium and vitamins becasue she keeps laying, but I want her to stop Im afraid she is going to ware herself out and get sick or something. Will this pass? Should I separate them into different rooms?
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

annlizardlover97

Hatchling Member
A female can & will lay eggs whether she's mated or not. U'll just get infertile eggs. Have u tried to save any of the eggs at all by incubating them? If ur absolutely sure she's not mated she's probly just laying infertile eggs that wudnt hatch anyway. Idk if the male being present is causing her to lay or not. She might very well still keep cycling & laying whether he's around or not. I have 7 dragons --- 3 females & 4 males. They're all in my room where I can see them (am disabled & home in bed most of day). There's always lots of head bobbing, arm waving, bowing (the low, very slow push-up like bob the females returns back to a bobbing male), & other behavior going on all the time. But I've only had 2 females lay eggs, ever. Bo 4 yrs ago lay one clutch only of 58 eggs & I got 52 babies out of that. Now her baby, Miss Fatty's recently laid her 2nd clutch about 3 weeks ago. Some were infertile, as they collapsed inside the incubator & some haven't and look fertile to me. Both females actually mated. Roxy, my other female, has never lay eggs as long as I've had her (she was 5 at the time & is now 10) so I'm thinking she was past the age for it but she cudda been gravid b4 I got her & I just don't no about it. Mine are out at different times of the day running around 2-3 at the time and interact lots with each other so I've never had a female just lay eggs w/o them being fertilized by the male 1st. But it can & does happen, more so with female iguanas but beardies do it too but to the extent I'm not sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milosmom
Top Bottom