Making food bowl. Help????

Status
Not open for further replies.
I made my beardie a food bowl! Yay! I've already grouted it but i was just wondering if there was something I can coat it in, like a sealant or something, to make sure he doesn't get ahold of anything he shouldn't. Like if the grout were to for some reason crack while i weren't here. Thanks!

aoscar

Hatchling Member
Yes it should be sealed just like any other fake rock creation, moge-poge or water-based polyuerathane are your best options as they are available in small quantities. I use water based sanding sealer, but I also use a couple gallons a month. Good luck.

BeardedxXxBoBBy

Hatchling Member
Wow i actually came here to post a topic seeing if i could make a food bowl the same way you make the fake rock walls i wasnt sure if i was trusting enough to let my dragons eat out of something that is grouted and yes i know i will be using different things that are non toxic and the such

but

ALSO I WAS WONDERING IF SOMEONE COULD EXPLAIN TO ME HOW STRONG THIS STUFF ACTUALLY GETS BECAUSE I AM NOT TO SURE ON THIS SUBJECT I REALLY WANT TO START MAKING BASKING STATIONS AND FOOD BOWLS AS MY FIRST PROJECT THEN EVENTUALLY MOVE ONTO BUILDING SO FAKE WALL BACKGROUNDS AND SUCH

BUT I AM NOT SURE ON HOW IT IS GOING TO HOLD UP I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT THIS STUFF

GoFast

Gray-bearded Member
my recommendation here is to make the rock part something that you can put a regular dish in. This way it is removable and washable without risking the part you made.

BadCon

Sub-Adult Member
If you make it out of grout, your going to need to use a waterproof sealer. Mod Podge is not water proof, and the safe sealers that are water proof will not hold up well to the multiple cleanings a food bowl is likely to experience. I would honestly just buy one.

Not sure if you have done anything with your problem yet but if not here you go
depending on the type of grout, Your choices in grout sealers are a topical sealer that can offer a wet look, or a penetrating sealer that has a natural look, which protects the grout but does not change the look of the grout. method to apply all over the surface with a sponge or cloth and then buff off the excess with a terry cloth or cheesecloth rag.
Grouts can also be re-colored by applying topical coatings much like painting.
hope this helps. :D

Chef

nice work, it amazes me how talented some of you people are when it comes to building things for your pet reptiles..

I used silicone and smeared it where there was going to be standing water our long periods of moisture. Here's some pics of Norberts new Viv. It's 4' x 2' x 2' with sliding glass doors, 3 Light system on timers, and my second rock sculpture "Dragon Mountain" I can't take a lot of credit for the inclosure because it was an old entertainment center I revamped but the rock sculpture and feed tray was all my doing. You can check out the video here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjTchJHFhbU
I've made a total of 3 rock sculptures. they take a while to do but i've really enjoyed making them.
6601623_orig.jpg

Notice the seams at the bottom? The entire "dragon head" is removable for safety and for easy cleaning.
9516594_orig.jpg

2949261_orig.jpg

9624067_orig.jpg

Here's the one I made for a co-worker.
628018_orig.jpg

1624865_orig.jpg

The Feed Tray is removable for easy cleaning
4077457_orig.jpg

340300_orig.jpg

Kibbleznbitzz

Original Poster
I don't want to buy one.

I still haven't finished it lol, but i'm going to very soon!

And that's amazing!! I have to work on a hide or basking spot next :)

Thanks, The silicone works great and is easy to clean. I just smooth it out as best I can and I only use it where there's going to be water standing. I have found that two thin coats work great and doesn't take away from the piece. Kinda cool cause it always looks wet. Have to actually stick my finger in it to see if there's any water...LOL
Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sage_1207
Top Bottom