Making a tank!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
iv changed my tank about atleast 5 times and iv finally decided on making one instead. this way i can put the features i like on it! its going to be 4ft wide by 4ft tall and 15" in thickness. however i am going to seperate the tanks at 2ft in the middle so it is 2 4ft by 2ft tanks. i am going to be using on this project:
8ft x 4ft sheet of MDF ( cut into strips of 4ft x15" sheets) £14 from B&Q
4ft x 4ft sheet of harboard £2-£4
20ft of black plastic glass runners
2 4ft panals of glass from fish tanks (cut in half)
and a few little bits...
i will keep yous posted as i do the project. i am all for constructive critisism so any help would be apreciated

helix321

Not sure on all your details but I too have built my own Enclosures - note when using MDF it need to be well sealed so as not to absrob any moisture or odors- I only used the melamine coated MDF for the bottom of an enclosure the melamine (platic) works a the sealer and can be cleaned with soap and water (Bleach if needed) without damage.

DistDrag

Juvie Member
Your tank design is not wide enough for an adult dragon. If your going to build them do it once and make it 4 x 2 x 2. The extra material cost now will be a much bigger savings then building bigger enclosures later.

Seven65

Juvie Member
helix321":c1f23 said:
Not sure on all your details but I too have built my own Enclosures - note when using MDF it need to be well sealed so as not to absrob any moisture or odors- I only used the melamine coated MDF for the bottom of an enclosure the melamine (platic) works a the sealer and can be cleaned with soap and water (Bleach if needed) without damage.
Seconded, I've never built and enclosure with MDF but I have built a few car speaker boxes and they suck up paint like you wouldn't believe, so get yourself a lot of sealer.

rockstar1992

Original Poster
kl thanks for the help. its gonna be 4 x 2 x 15" iv had him in a tank that is approx 4 x 20" x 12" so anything will be an improvement. i would love to show you all the plan but i designed it on google sketchup so unfortunatly i cant get it up. so you willl have to see as i go along. im covering it with fablon aswell (didnt mention that) im gonna cut a hole in the center bit of wood so that they can get down and i will make like a little ladder hopefully. but im gonna make sure i can re-cover the hole if i do get any more so they can be seperated. getting started today with the glass but im waitin on the wood

15" inches would be fine for the height but, the lenght and width of the floor should be at a bare minimum 3 - 4 feet long and at least 18" wide. And yes the extra three inches makes a difference seeing as it really should measure 24" wide. Even a 40 gallon breeder tank is 36" X 18" and they tend to be a little cramped for a full size beardie.

rockstar1992

Original Poster
cant reelly afford it wood wise! my Dad is funding the whole tankso unfortunately 18" will have to be the largest it could posible go as i only have a £25 buget and the wood is gonna cost me £19 of that!

GoFast

Gray-bearded Member
rockstar1992":e222e said:
kl thanks for the help. its gonna be 4 x 2 x 15" iv had him in a tank that is approx 4 x 20" x 12" so anything will be an improvement.

he said it is going to be 4' wide x 2' deep. like i said, sounds good.

Fallencomrade2008

Juvie Member
Speaking from personal experiance, i built my own cage also. 4x2x2 wood/arcrilic plastic. One adult dragon and sometime his little girl freind for a few hours. Well i wish i would have made it way bigger. It's worth the wait to get an extra 10 bucks for the bigger lumber. Trust me when your done you will love it for like 2 weeks and start thinking man i could have done so much better...

rockstar1992

Original Poster
started it earlier. got the wood cut by B&Q and iv put all of the corner blocks on and am ready to asemble it tomorow so i will start posting pics of my progress then. but its lookin good so far. im looking into making another when i start college in september and i will use this one to house hatchlings when i breed but for the time being and for as long as it takes im certain this will be a perfect envioronment for him. im going to cut a little of the center peice tomorow as it was too gone 10 when i realised it was too big. so hopefully gonna get a bright and early start tomorrow and will hopefully get it assembled. just looking for the glass runners atm but i cant find them anywhere! im also looking into getting a panther chamelion when i start college so if anyone has any previous knowledge of them i could do with the help. and does anyone know who privately breeds them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rootie
Top Bottom