Making a lay box...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MissT

BD.org Addict
Posted this in general as I didnt think it was really breeding (its infertile eggs we are dealing with) but didnt get much over there so decided to repost here!!

So.... Abu appears to be 'full of eggs'. Anyway, I read so much on here that I just want to check that I have the details correct and figure out all my confusion. So basically I think I need...

a 10 gallon rubbermaid with lid
sand
potting soil or possibly perlite?????

Now for the questions...

1) I should mix the sand and the potting soil with water so it holds a burrow?
2) How do I ensure that the burrow doesnt collapse?
3) How do I keep it at a good temperature??
4) Do I cut holes in it??
5) Do I put it in her viv or place her inside it if she starts digging frantically?

I seem to have got myself a little confused so if some one could just lay it out for me - kind of step by step - it would be absolutely fabulous!!!!

MALIBUSMOM also suggested eco-earth but I cant get any of that over here. I can get vermiculite but was told that it is actually carcinogenic and to try to find an alternative - perhaps the perlite - would this be better than potting soil and where might I find it lol??

Sorry for all the questions but im kind of a bit shocked by it all - just wasnt expecting her to lay yet!!! (Yes, sometimes I can be a little bit dosey!!!)

Thanks in advance!!

T

Dmatt

Hi I can try to help since this is the stage we are in as well with Siren. Although her eggs are fertile

I have a 14 gal Rubbermaid tote. I liked the depth better than the 10 gal.

I bought organic garden soil. Big bag I think like 40 lbs. Dumped it in and moistened it just enough to make it packable and kind of made a mound at one end.

Cut a hole in the lid just bog enough for her heat lamp. Shine the lamp on the mound so it warms the dirt.

I plan to put her in when she starts trying to dig in her tank.

The perlite will be used to cradle the eggs while they are in the incubator.

I bought the dirt and perlite at Lowe's Home Improvement store in the garden section.

Hope this helps. Since this is my first time around too I would be grateful if any other members have something to add or correct.

midnight_962002

Sub-Adult Member
I use a big rubbermade. Large enough that I can keep her in it a couple days with the proper lighting. I have used soil the last couple of years and I am going to experiment with a perlite/sand combo this next season. The soil gets your animal and the eggs super dirty. Next, you want to make sure that what ever medium you used will clump together. Then I make a steep hill. About a 45 degree angel from bottom of one side to the top of the other. Next step is to pack it tight. They should still be able to dig into it and this will help prevent it from collapsing on them. You should still check in on them from time to time. But, once they start digging don't bother them. Finally, I cover it with a screen top and place the light based on the same timers. I do this cause not all dragons lay right when you think they should lay when you are ready for them to.

MissT

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
So I should leave her in there until she lays?

Ok next questions - do I place the heat source to point at the top of this hill of the bottom? What temp do I want the surface to be? Im thinking the screen lid sounds like a good idea, placed in a quiet area of the house where she wont be disturbed and people wont be constantly peeking in on her. O its such stress - im rather worried about my little princess!!!

midnight_962002

Sub-Adult Member
Miss T. Yeah once she goes off of food and starts getting frantic place her in there and leave her there. She will figure it out. Sometimes it can take a day or two. Especially if it is her first time.

I place the heat source near the top. I get the basking spot temp close to what it would be in her cage. Then I leave. You don't have to worry about cooking the eggs cause she should dig them deep into the corner.

If you notice her not digging for a couple of days you could start a whole that she could get into. But, that is really all you can do for now.

Ernie

MojoThor

soooo if she leaves the eggs deep in the whole she makes how do you get them out? is it easily accessible or do you start excavating them out or something? also i heard you cant turn them or something along those lines right?

midnight_962002

Sub-Adult Member
You shouldn't turn them. But, you should candle them and make sure the red spot is up when you put them in the incubator.

As for getting to the eggs. You have to unberry them. Very, very carefully.

Ernie

MissT

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Thanks Ernie!!

Thats great info - I finally feel like I have a clue about what she needs!! I'm so glad I'm dealing with infertile eggs here!! If she had been mated I think I would be losing my mind worrying about both her and the eggs!!!! I placed a shallow sand pit in her viv today - just so she has something to dig other than tile and carpet - less strain on her little nails!!! Shes stil eating atm but she hasn't been moving around much for a few days - prefering to lie with her belly flat on the ground and generally staying on the cool side of the viv!!! I guess I have to just keep watching her now - let the waiting game begin!!

Thanks again!!

T

MissT

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Ok so much for my waiting game... I have one (hopefully final) question!!!

I have my playsand, perlite and giant (pink) rubbermaid for her. Im going to use the screen lid from one of my spare tanks. But now that I have everything I think I need, I need to know quantities as such - so does this sound ok - I should mix about equal quantities of sand and perlite before adding water until Im happy with the 'clumpiness' of the mixture?

Thanks again!!

T

midnight_962002

Sub-Adult Member
MissT,

No problem. I haven't used the mixture yet myself. I think I am going to start with a 60/40 mix of Perlite to sand. Most important is to make sure it will clump and hold water. We don't want the water to drop down to the bottom and for a pool.

As for her eating. Usually my females will stop eating a couple of days just before they lay. Watch for that. Once she stops put her in her lay box and wait. Good luck to you and your little girl.

Ernie

I just set up a lay box for my female... she has been digging alot lately and she feels like she has some eggs in her tummy... I hope all goes well as this is the first time setting it up.... any advice or tips would be appreciated.. I just went and checked on her and she has started to dig opposite to the side with her light and the mound that i made for her... anything to be worried about? Woot !!! nothing to be worried about at all.. after setting up the lay box for Pedra I came home from work and she laid 16 little eggs.... woot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meli
Top Bottom