Made a huge mistake with D3, please help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

lwilson3

Original Poster
Is it possible at all that it is brumation? He is about 7-8 inches. He may not be a he, we never had him sexed ebcause they said wait 6 months. He has been very agitated lately, but I read that when they are young they are less likely to brumate? Or eat, if they are indeed brumating.

Ugh. I guess I'll find out at 4, but it's so much money if it does turn out to be brumation. I have a stool sample from yesterday, will that work ?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I'm not sure about the stool sample. Best thing is to call the clinic to ask, it may have needed refrigeration, or else they may want a fresh one. But no, your baby would not be brumating. He is far too young, not even a chance. His [ or her ! ] behavior is due to something else. But you did turn down the heat ? Hopefully that will help some. And agitation is better than complete lethargy....I hope you get some answers.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I agree with AHBD,

Over supplementation on D3 is very unlikely.

Have you lowered the heat at all like he suggested?

-Brandon

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I don't know how, but I totally missed your post about his feet turning in , and tail kink. Those are definitely MBD signs, so he actually really does need the calcium powder and UVB. Initially when you gave it, he may have gotten such a big dose at once that it temporarily caused stomach upset, but by your description, everything fits calcium deficiency+ beginning MBD. If you can get him out in the sun a few times a week for 30 - 40 minutes, it can help tremendously. Just don't let him overheat, never use a glass tank for outside.

lauraj1055

Gray-bearded Member
It is very unlikely that it is brumation. Dragons that young do not brumate. It does sound a lot like MBD. It's good that you got his UVB inside the tank. The screen will block out a lot of the UVB rays that he needs. Let us know how it goes after the vets. Where did he come from? A breeder or a pet store? Just curious on the care before you got him.

lwilson3

Original Poster
Okay so its not mbd. She said he shows no physical signs of that or impaction but he is overrun with coccicida. ten days and predosed syringes. She said shes never seen it so bad. he was purchased at a local store that breeds themselves. my husband is inside now pretty much wtfing them because she said he had to have had this problem since before we got him. I dropped temps and got cleaning instructions and another fecal will be done in two to three weeks. The vet was amazing. im thankful to have found her. Hopefully he will be back to normal soon...she said probably by monday if hes not he will need xrays and bloodwork.

lwilson3

Original Poster
Also how do I hang the light so it shines down? Its an under sink fixture from walmart. The only way we have found is to attach it to the back which makes it shine outward not down...Is that ok?

lauraj1055

Gray-bearded Member
lwilson3":118ht3w6 said:
Okay so its not mbd. She said he shows no physical signs of that or impaction but he is overrun with coccicida. ten days and predosed syringes. She said shes never seen it so bad. he was purchased at a local store that breeds themselves. my husband is inside now pretty much wtfing them because she said he had to have had this problem since before we got him. I dropped temps and got cleaning instructions and another fecal will be done in two to three weeks. The vet was amazing. im thankful to have found her. Hopefully he will be back to normal soon...she said probably by monday if hes not he will need xrays and bloodwork.

Did they give you Albon? I highly recommend NOT giving him Albon, as it is very harsh on their systems. There is a much better medication called Ponazuril, which will KILL the coccidia in just 2 doses. Albon doesn't actually kill the coccidia, it just keeps it from growing. Here is a link to buy a form of Ponazuril. I highly recommend this, and not the Albon.

http://www.beardeddragons.co/beardeddragon/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=217

you can read about in this link.

lwilson3

Original Poster
The picture of the bracks have the light facing out and not down... We can do that with command strips. Is it ok to face that way?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Can you post a pic of the little guy, including the tail and the ankles turning in ? Not to bother you, I'd like to see a tail with a kink and the crooked feet that sound like MBD. I sure hope he will do well with the meds. he's on though. poor liittle bugger !

lwilson3

Original Poster
Ill get a picture as soon as im home and im not sure what the meds are... Jesse is inside with the vet bill talking to the owner. Im on my cell.

lwilson3

Original Poster
She said his legs and whole self are tired from fighting it and felt his bones and joints for the mbd. She said it doesnt look like he has it and gave me care sheets on salads and dusting. I hope its just lethargy from the parasites :/

lwilson3

Original Poster
She did put him on Albon for 10 days. I think I am going to use it, have him retested and if he is still showing signs I will buy the other. The pet store split the vet costs with us and gave us a check for $35. They also offered to see him and check his fecal matter and give wormer from now on. They were very apologetic. I guess they got that batch from a 12 year old who sells to them and breeds morphs. From now on I'll stick to online breeders when purchasing new dragons and I will visit them if I think he has something wrong... they also confirmed he doesn't have MBD, so that was nice to hear. Here's hoping he's better in a few days..

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The reason Ponazuril was recommended INSTEAD of Albon, is because Albon is extremely harsh on a dragons system, and the ponazuril is much milder and effective.

10 days of albon is pretty rough. Did the vet recommend you use a probiotic? If not I suggest you get one. Soy yogurt (no dairy) works good if you can find it.

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Toothadash
Top Bottom