Low Temperature - One Day of Feeding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xazzak

Hatchling Member
Hello my fellow beardie lovers, long time no post. So Smaugie has been doing well for the most part, but I do have concerns.

Right now, Smaugie is going through her second brumation of her life, although it has lasted MUCH longer, with more sleeping than she did during her first one. Keep in mind, her first one happened during the same time of the year last year, but she wasn't even a year old. This year, she started around the beginning of October and still seems to be less active/sleeping longer. I have read that some dragons can brumate for many months, so I'm trying not to stress. I also realize that every dragon is slightly different; she will actually get up every day, but doesn't always bask. During periods of her being awake, I have been keeping her hydrated with water (she drinks from a medicine dropper), as well as weighing her weekly. She hasn't been using the bathroom, has eaten very little, but hasn't lost much weight. I'd say she's lost around 3-4 grams in the past 2 months (weighing at 453 grams currently). While that sounds like a lot, she has only eaten a few times, which was a few pieces of green beans over the course of a few weeks, and ate 30 phoenix worms yesterday.

When I got home yesterday, I panicked because her basking spot wasn't high enough due to a cold front that came in, although we usually keep our house at 72-74 degrees. When I checked her surface temp, she was only 86 degrees. It worries me to think that she could have gone all day at those temps after eating the worms, which could cause digestive issues. Naturally, I turned the temps up, so her body surface temp reading was at 92, for at least two hours before I cut the lights out for the night. She will generally avoid her basking spot f it's over 95.

Should I be worried about anything I've mentioned above?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I wouldn't worry about it. They're pretty tough and a day of slightly cooler temps shouldn't cause a problem. It's definitely a bit of a pain to stabilize the temps this time of year. It does sound like she's brumating and good that her weight is stable. A few grams is no big deal at all. She has probably slowed her metabolism down so much he hardly needs anything to eat. Just keep an eye on her weight, offer water like you've been doing and let her do her thing.

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
Depending on the type of lights your using in your enclosure you could try using a higher wattage bulb and use a dimmer switch to adjust the temps by season with the switch. However, it will not work on a self ballast mercury vapor bulb and you would need a good quality 10.0 UV florescent to use in conjunction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
New & NoClue
Top Bottom