Low profile lighting options?

Jaretr

Beardie name(s)
Hops, Chuck Norris, and Kush
So I have 3 beardies and the most recent rescue has some moderate MBD and struggles with ascension of steep decorations and such so he's in a 12" tall front open tank to limit his vertical movement. This tank choice also allows me to place his tank where he has a great view of the whole room, the problem is the space above the tank is very limited. The full dimensions of the tank are about 35x18x12 so its fairly small in volume for a beardie tank. I should probably mention his growth was stunted to about 10-12 inches by the MBD. Im looking for lighting for both day and night heat that will be lower profile than the typical domes. Halogen domes fit but I'm worried that wont be enough plus I could only find one bulb by zilla that was a CHE that works in the "halogen" lamps. I have a T5 and T8 UBV that I'm deciding which to use for this and which for one of my bigger tanks. Please help me get rid of my bulky dome fixtures that are taller than the tank itself. I would rather find something a bit cheaper than the zilla hologen and regular bulb combo fixture, maybe something not specialized for lizards?

Jaretr

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
So I have 3 beardies and the most recent rescue has some moderate MBD and struggles with ascension of steep decorations and such so he's in a 12" tall front open tank to limit his vertical movement. This tank choice also allows me to place his tank where he has a great view of the whole room, the problem is the space above the tank is very limited. The full dimensions of the tank are about 35x18x12 so its fairly small in volume for a beardie tank. I should probably mention his growth was stunted to about 10-12 inches by the MBD. Im looking for lighting for both day and night heat that will be lower profile than the typical domes. Halogen domes fit but I'm worried that wont be enough plus I could only find one bulb by zilla that was a CHE that works in the "halogen" lamps. I have a T5 and T8 UBV that I'm deciding which to use for this and which for one of my bigger tanks. Please help me get rid of my bulky dome fixtures that are taller than the tank itself. I would rather find something a bit cheaper than the zilla hologen and regular bulb combo fixture, maybe something not specialized for lizards?
I already have 2 halogen domes to use with it if theyll work so if I can get both day and night heat in those, my uvb bar is already low enough.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I already have 2 halogen domes to use with it if theyll work so if I can get both day and night heat in those, my uvb bar is already low enough.
Your tank is good for a T 8 distance should be directly above the basking decor UNOBSTRUCTRED-- if its on the screen please move it so there is nothing obstructing it - it needs to be 6-8 inches directly above the decor piece and NO clear plastic cover over the bulb if there is one- you need to get a surface basking temp w/ a digital probe thermometer - 95-100 --- basking bulbs are trial and error - you do not need heat at night if your tank is 65-75 - if its falling below 65 then you need a CHE ceramic heat emitter

Jaretr

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Your tank is good for a T 8 distance should be directly above the basking decor UNOBSTRUCTRED-- if its on the screen please move it so there is nothing obstructing it - it needs to be 6-8 inches directly above the decor piece and NO clear plastic cover over the bulb if there is one- you need to get a surface basking temp w/ a digital probe thermometer - 95-100 --- basking bulbs are trial and error - you do not need heat at night if your tank is 65-75 - if its falling below 65 then you need a CHE ceramic heat emitter
I know proper techniques, I’ve kept beardies for many years but I’m asking about if anyone has any specific bulb and fixture suggestions or recommendations they may have tried that are less bulky and space taking than the typical basking and che setup

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I know proper techniques, I’ve kept beardies for many years but I’m asking about if anyone has any specific bulb and fixture suggestions or recommendations they may have tried that are less bulky and space taking than the typical basking and che setup
Not really - you want good uvb and basking bulbs - if you want to lessen the load on the screen you can get a hanger to hang the basking bulb above but the uvb only coils in domes and I do not recommend those at all they are hazardous to your dragon totally inadequate

Jaretr

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Not really - you want good uvb and basking bulbs - if you want to lessen the load on the screen you can get a hanger to hang the basking bulb above but the uvb only coils in domes and I do not recommend those at all they are hazardous to your dragon totally inadequate
You’re not understanding the question. I already have proper uvb on the tank, I just want to know if anyone has suggestions for basking and night heat for a smaller tank (35x18x12) that are shorter than 5 inches. I know there are options but I’m not sure what’s ideal and I’m sure there’s people who have already experimented with smaller lights.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
You’re not understanding the question. I already have proper uvb on the tank, I just want to know if anyone has suggestions for basking and night heat for a smaller tank (35x18x12) that are shorter than 5 inches. I know there are options but I’m not sure what’s ideal and I’m sure there’s people who have already experimented with smaller lights.
If you can get correct basking temps people use indacanscent house hold bulbs- I think they are shorter than 5 inches

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom