Lots of water with BDs Poo

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbodkin

Hatchling Member
I noticed my BDs Poo has a lot of water coming out with it ... I have read that when they Poo they also will release excess water ... I feed him Dragon Bites (he LOVES them) with his salad and they are 87% moisture ... So my thought is that he is eating to many of these and I need to cut back on them till his Poo drys up some ... Does this seem right? Other than that his Poo is normal and green ... Just very wet :puke:

Jasper's Mom

BD.org Addict
As long as the poo itself is well formed, there is nothing to worry about. Excess water just means he's well hydrated, and you don't want to change that! However, if the poo is loose and mushy or even liquidy, then it could be a sign of parasites.

PuffPuff11

Hatchling Member
Puff's poop was really watery too... I took him to the vet, for other reasons, and he pooed right there for her and she said it was okay and that he was just really hydrated.

jbodkin

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Can a BD appear healthy, eat well and even grow/gain weight and still have parasites?

He is all the above ... but I am scared of the parasite thing ... Beacuse some times his poo is loose and real wet :(

Jasper's Mom

BD.org Addict
It's normal to have loose poops occasionally, depending on what they eat. Generally, if a bd has parasites, the poo will always be liquidy, and it will stink to high heaven. Like, make-you-gag stinky. When Jasper had parasites, I double bagged his poop sample, but by the time I got to the vet (10 minutes away) I had to roll the windows down and stick my head out because I was retching. Then in the clinic, the poop sample cleared out the waiting room. If his poo doesn't stink like that, then you probably don't have a parasite problem. :D

luvthydragon

Juvie Member
jbodkin":4e688 said:
Can a BD appear healthy, eat well and even grow/gain weight and still have parasites?

He is all the above ... but I am scared of the parasite thing ... Beacuse some times his poo is loose and real wet :(

Hi there,

My dragon looked fine and poos were not runny but not firm either....He was growing and eating, mintaining his weight and I had no idea he had parasites. I took him to the vet for something different and brought a stool/fecal sample and as it tured out he had HIGH counts of two different parasites. My opinion is they are great at masking their illnesses and you should get a fecal test done just to know you're in the clear. I Don't mean to scare you but I would have never guessed mine had parasites. Maybe someone with more experience would have been able to tell but I sure didn't see it and I was really watching him closely. Fecal test shouldn't cost you much - mine cost $36.00 and I just scoop some into a zip lock back and drop it off to the Vet and I don't have to pay for an office visit. Just a suggestion.

Best wishes to you and your dragon :D

jbodkin

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
luvthydragon":7c60b said:
My dragon looked fine and poos were not runny but not firm either....He was growing and eating, mintaining his weight and I had no idea he had parasites.

How did you have to treat it? And did every thing turn out ok? :shock:

luvthydragon

Juvie Member
jbodkin":4b000 said:
luvthydragon":4b000 said:
My dragon looked fine and poos were not runny but not firm either....He was growing and eating, mintaining his weight and I had no idea he had parasites.

How did you have to treat it? And did every thing turn out ok? :shock:

We started treating him for Coccidia and Pinworms Aug. 21st, Pin worms are gone but we are still battling the coccidia . Again, I don't mean to scare you ..... yours may be just fine. Even after he is well I plan to get fecals done every few months for good measure / as a precautionary thing.

Like I said before, too, maybe if I had more experience maybe I would have seen other symptoms ??? My vet says he probably had it since before I got him (He's young-I only had him for a month when I took him to the vet) and maybe what looked and smelled like regular poo to me really wasn't normal -(did that make any sense?).

Sorry again if I got you scared :oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom