Lost the lizard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wardo

Thats bad news, I hope he turns up OK, and has not been kidnapped by someone. Like a previous poster said, I would check EVERYWHERE, starting with the room he was last seen in. My friends lizzard went missing for a day, but was found hidden behind the TV, and was being kept warm(ish) by the electrical stuff.

Just be very careful when you move things, as he could be wedged in anywhere thinking he is safe, when realisticly he isnt! Keep us updated. Im looking forward to hearing of his safe return.

Stephies_Leo _Dragon

Juvie Member
I am so sorry to hear you lost your beardie ! They are such little boogers ! I lost mine and he was missing for 6 weeks. Then one extra warm day I came home from work and their he was.. curled up on the floor asleep! I never did figure out where he was hiding and I searched everywhere. Anyways I am telling you this because I was at my wits end and was just about ready to give up when he finally turned up. So don't give up hope ! I would turn the heat as high as you can in the house and leave it like that for a day and maybe he will come out and roam around where you can find him. Good luck !

kitelizard

Original Poster
Now, that's something I didn't think about. I could try turning up the heat!
I'm scared to open drawers anymore...its like looking for a mouse or something!
We have done a room to room search downstairs, and, while the stairs were blocked off by 2 big rubbermaid lids, he may have gotten by them...he had maybe 2" in between the rails...I know he's super fast going up the steps. I was up there, and he tends to follow me with his eyes. He probably heard me up there...I'm grasping at straws.
He's not been in the basement before. I've never had him go DOWN steps. They are carpeted to the door, and the door was open maybe 1". After that its wood down to concrete. But, will go down and check there again. I'm going to love that chore. There is crap everywhere down there. He would definitely be in brumation down there...its C.O.L.D.
So, we'll put that off and start upstairs?
The UVB is on, the heatlamp is over the tile, just like last night, I've got the flour ready, and the crickets and superworms are in the middle of the diningroom floor (next to the scene of the crime and where his cage is).
Thanks for not giving up on me! I really do feel horrible. But, I've had him 3 years and he's never done anything stupid like this before. Do they go through midlife crisises? I've heard others say they act like teenagers sometimes...he's so old..maybe I ought to leave out a mustang convertible toy?

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Hi
I am sorry to hear about your beardie I really hope he turns up.I would definately set up a basking are in the middle of the room out in the open for him with some food next to it to draw it out.I am sure its also been suggested but did you check all your radiators in and out.I would take a flashlight and go through them inch by inch.You said he likes laying on them he may have crawled under them.I would definately check the basement an inch of space is probably more then enough for him to get through.Do you have any openings in you walls that he could have gotten into?

Vicky

protiemama

Gray-bearded Member
Either the Mustang convertable or a Harley. :laughhard:
As for openings in walls someone here lost their beardie and he had slipped through an opening around a pipe crawled under the tub and then under a floor board under there. I believe thats the order. Can't remember how they found him, but retrieving him involved lots of demolition work. Do you need a new floor? :lol: I point out this story to let you know when we say he could be anywhere, we really do mean anywhere!
Good luck- you have been added to our prayer list.

Sandy H

kitelizard

Original Poster
Well, its morning, and no tracks. That's 2 days up here.
So, I moved the light, the heat lamp and his 'rock' into the basement. Will move the crickets down before work. I had put food down there last night, but no takers.
I think the Harley is for the DH. Altho, I'm sure I could come up with some sort of holder....a set of goggles at least. lol. DH would LOVE that.

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Sorry to hear that your little guy still hasn't shown up.

I'm sure you had turned your house upside down already, but I wanted to let you know of the strange hiding places that my former beardies had hidden in.

- on top of a shoe (by the front door, down a set of stairs - that's when we realized that Felix could jump down stairs)
- under the upright freezer (and as far back as possible)
- under a rolling drawer cart (only had about an inch of clearance, but Oscar still managed to squeeze himself in there - and stayed there for 2 days)
- inside an empty box awaiting to be taken outside as trash :roll:
- attached to the side of a hamper
- behind the living room curtains
- inside a "neatly" folded blanket on the couch
- underneath couch cushions (almost got squished)
- in the bedroom closet, underneath a pile of sweaters (guess Felix got cold and took matters into his own hands - wasn't found until 3 days later)
- under the couch

I hope you'll find him soon.

darkcirca

Hatchling Member
Do you have multiple heat lights? I'd suggest putting one on each floor, with a few crickets in a container and do the flour method. This would give you 3 areas to look at, especially since you have no idea.

Be very careful with opening drawers, like someone else said. When I was a little kid I had a hamster that got out. I thought I heard him in my drawer, so I pulled it out and ended up basically crushing him. He was still alive, but you could tell he was struggling. As a 7 year old kid, this was devastating. If I remember correctly, I never got another hamster after that...

Chubz

kitelizard":5320a said:
I've had him 3 years and he's never done anything stupid like this before. Do they go through midlife crisises? I've heard others say they act like teenagers sometimes...he's so old..maybe I ought to leave out a mustang convertible toy?

I mean no disrespect but all your posts have me cracking up :D :D !!!!! i really hope you find your lizard before your whole house is turned into a ginormous viv ! lol

1happymommy

Juvie Member
Have you check the lining under the sofa & chairs? Sometimes there is a rip and he could have crawled up there.
How about up the firelplace.

Put flour along your baseboards. I guess your getting an early start on your spring cleaning.
Good Luck. I will keep checking back. Did you ever get your calgon bath? Sounds good about now does in it?

It seems like you would see or smell poop somewhere.

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
I noticed Denise Bushnell gave a load of great suggestions. I have to admit that most of the time I have difficulty finding Itty Bitty when she escapes she is usually curled up in or near the dirty close. Once I found her behind the toilet sleeping after hours of searching the entire house. Blaze goes up the curtain, but you mentioned you didn't have curtains. Itty Bitty is forever trying to get behind the stove. I've also found her sleeping in a flower pot which I think was mentioned already too. She seems to always seek out a cold and dark spot and goes to sleep.

Remember if it is cold your beardie will fall asleep so you need to make it very warm if not hot in your house for the day and see if he doesn't wake up and come out. The first time I couldn't find Itty Bitty she had crawled off and went to sleep. I upped the house temps to unbearable temperatures and she came out of hiding again she was in the dirty close. She likes my sons stinky shoes so I always check there too.

Sending Possitive Energy Your Way! :wink:

kitelizard

Original Poster
The DH crawled behind the basement freezer...looked under the stairs...nada.
I seriously don't think he's down there. All the spidey webs are undisturbed. That's bad isn't it? So many spidey webs! I also checked the garage sale/donation pile...going through all the clothing piece by piece. I even took the panel off the furnace. It was a comedy act trying to get it back on...
So, the food, heat and lights are back upstairs.
Will wait for a day when I'm home to turn the heat up full blast. Plus, when the DH isn't home...$$$$$
It may be a snow day tomorrow...supposed to be -20 or something with the wind chill. They usually don't cancel school for that, but, I can hope.
I looked under the kitchen cabinets this morning...thinking there might be an opening or something...nada.
I drove my DD nuts last night..we were watching A. Idol and every commercial break I'd ask "where haven't we looked? Where's my lizard?" I'm thinking I just need to relax and not worry so much.
"If you love them, let them go?" lol
There's got to be a phrase that brings them back?
Thanks for sending the good vibes. I can't imagine getting a little bitty one and losing it. He's so huge, there really isn't many spots in the house he can get his big head into. I know they squish there bodies down flat, but, you've still got the big head. My friend tells me feeding him every day isn't good...he doesn't need that many crickets in one day...okay, he's spoiled. I admit it.
Oh, I told the DH the story about the one under the tub. He said 'forget about it, dead lizard'. Humpff!!!
He used to say that about the dog too...and who was the one that cried???? Men are full of bluster aren't they. Or, maybe he's just scared the lizard might turn up in our bed some night. gigl.
Oh, DD came up with the thermal imaging camera idea? DH could borrow one from somewhere...but, we found out that it won't work unless he was just lying there right out in plain sight. It was a GREAT idea! I think we should borrow one and play with it anyway...

darkcirca

Hatchling Member
Wow, that's pretty cold! If you were closer, I'd be all over helping you out. I've got access to some fun gizmo's with my job that I could put to the test.

Goodluck though - I hope things come through. He's probably in the most straightforward spot that you didn't think to look. It always happens that way..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
My name is Faith
Top Bottom