Lost a lightbulb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gatsby

Hi, pretty new here, I have a female bearded dragon, she's about 3 months old. Unsure exactly. I bought her at a reptile expo on September 10th, she was pretty small, my guess would be about a month old at that time.
Today, when I was turning the lights on, the basking light burnt out, which sucks cause I bought it all 2 months ago, but, my question.
Can I use the night one (red) along with the UV for a few days til I get paid and can buy a new bulb? Or do i need to borrow some money to get one now?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
You can use the red one for a day or two, but not longer than that. Try to get a plain halogen bulb [ like a par 38 ] from Home Depot....they are every bit as good as a pet store bulb. And actually the red lights are not good for night time. Beardies need pretty much total darkness to sleep well, any light disturbs their sleep. The pet industry has many ways to take your money for unnecessary items and that is one. If your temps. don't go below 65 at night you don't need any heat, but if it gets colder you can get a CHE [ ceramic heat emitter ] that puts out heat with no light.

Gatsby

Original Poster
Thanks for the advice, AHBD, my set up was a zomed starter kit, so it came with the uv along with the double dome, white and red light. I get paid tomorrow, sadly, I literally have a dollar in my account (times are rough as a student)

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I agree that a halogen flood light can be used for basking temps. They can be dimmed as needed to fine tune output and tend to be a bit tougher than the reptile bulbs from what I've seen. The UVB lights that come with the ZooMed kits are inadequate. Since budget is tight, I suggest replacing it with a 26w Exo Terra UVB200 bulb which should fit your existing fixture. That should provide adequate UVB at around 6-8'' from the bulb. Then over the next several months I suggest saving for a T5 UVB fixture and bulb which will be better in the long run.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hseith
Top Bottom