Losing Weight During Hibernation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys. My beardy has been acting lethargic/lack of interest in food for a long time now (like a year and a half). He was on mainly baby food and superworms because that was all he would eat. Over spring and summer 2020, I would get him out and put him on my deck in the sun all day to hopefully perk him up, but when I would bring him inside he would want to go hide and sleep. After months of ignoring his want to hide and sleep, i realized maybe he hasn’t been himself this entire time because I’ve been preventing him from hibernating because I have all the correct UVB/heat set up. So, the middle of August 2020 I let him do his own thing and left him in the cage to sleep. Since then, he’s been in his cave, sleeping on and off (he’s usually awake during the day but his eyes look sleepy). I hear him switching positions a couple times per day. I give him a salad in case he’s hungry (tho he has never eaten his salad), and I give him water/electrolytes every couple weeks. When I am giving him water, I also offer him a roach to see if he’s hungry, which he hasn’t been. I also have been weighing him. In August he was around 530g. On September 15th, he was 517g. And today, he weighed 502g. Is this normal to lose a bit of weight during hibernation? I took him to the vet in March of 2020 for being lethargic and not interested in food and the vet drew blood and said everything was normal, and he had a normal amount of parasites but she gave me some dewormer just in case. That did nothing. So, hopefully I am just over worrying and he will come out of hibernation soon. Here’s some pictures I took of him today to show you his weight.
97747-3857024037.jpg
97747-9102766397.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
He still looks pretty healthy based on the photos and is at a decent weight. 5% weight loss isn't unusual, but do keep monitoring it. If it continues to decline steadily then something else may be at play. If he gets down around 450 or less, then a vet visit may be warranted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milosmom
Top Bottom