Losing scales 1 year post op site

Cuttlefishh

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Charlie
Hi there, my 4yr old beardie girl Charlie had a spay 1yr ago. She's doing fine but the surgery site was a little messy looking- the vet wasn't able to get all sutures out post but told me they would shed out in some time.

She went into a full shed finally, but I notice some shed was not coming off of the surgery site. There is this little pocket of flesh that was sutured together that sticks out that was looking a little angry and layered with shed.

I teased some of the shed off it with some clean tweasers and managed to get it off but it looks like the scales all came off.. the area is a little red now. I don't think I was too aggressive with it I just teased them a little she didn't seem to be in any pain or stress while I was doing it (she even proceeded to take a big wet poo right as I was done...)

I put some betadine over the area.. but now I'm a little concerned. Any advice?

Attachments

• 20240523_125643.jpg
    20240523_125643.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 32
  • 20240523_125709.jpg
    20240523_125709.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 28

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

It has definitely healed up but does have some excess skin. This has been awhile since the surgery.
For now, you can use some raw unpasteurized honey on that area to help keep it from getting infected.
So that excess skin there is basically where she didn't stitch it up evenly?
I think as long as it eventually sheds off without getting infected, it should be just fine. It apparently isn't
bothering her at all which is good!

Tracie

Cuttlefishh

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Charlie
Hello,

It has definitely healed up but does have some excess skin. This has been awhile since the surgery.
For now, you can use some raw unpasteurized honey on that area to help keep it from getting infected.
So that excess skin there is basically where she didn't stitch it up evenly?
I think as long as it eventually sheds off without getting infected, it should be just fine. It apparently isn't
bothering her at all which is good!

Tracie

Hi Tracie thanks heaps for checking it out. Yes the area is quite uneven. I suspect it's because of how messy the surgery itself was since they had to remove a lot of necrotic tissue, including some that fused to the wall of her abdomen. What I think might have happened is they removed parts that were devitalized hence the site where they stitched up looks so uneven.

She seemed to only slightly drag her abdomen on the surface of my bed for a few moments right after I removed some of the scales.. but no other signs of discomfort and has been behaving normally since, doesn't recoil when I touch or anything. She still had some shed so I think it's likely she might have been trying to rub it off.

I'm certain it is healed but given that it is an older op site I do want to ere on the side of caution

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Bless her, that was quite an ordeal for her I know. At least she pulled through & is doing very well!
That's good it doesn't seem to be hurting her but I can't blame you for being concerned because their
scales can become inflamed easily then become infected.
Do you have any silver cream or gel, you could put on there, or even raw unpasteurized honey would
be great also.

Tracie

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rootie
Top Bottom