Looking to get a new reptile!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LucisAbsentia

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Not yet! She has been fed today already, and I didn't want to open my box of crickets before getting home.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Just wondering how she's doing and if you have her set up yet ? Any pics of her set up and has she eaten yet ?

LucisAbsentia

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I do have her set up! I can take a picture of her tank in the morning. She did eat a little bit, not a lot, but she did eat. I do have a few questions on that. Do they really only eat a few insects every few days? And is it better to feed her in her tank or outside of it? I worry about food being left in the tank, or if she would even bother to come up for it, since she likes to burrow all day. (She was fed outside of her tank today)

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I meant to comment about feeding frequency....just offer food every day to every other day. Some days my adult would eat a large nightcrawler or 3-4 supers and not eat the next day, sometimes he would eat every day, usually a smaller portion. Feed her wherever she's comfortable eating. They usually will stay above ground if they're hungry.

LucisAbsentia

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Here's her tank! I want to get another piece of foliage or two, but this is what I have for now.

81865-5309897275.jpg
top view
81865-228213897.jpg
side view

These are not the finest pictures ever, but I'm hoping they're alright.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Yes, that's a good basic set up. You can add about 2" of dampened coco fiber [ eco earth or bed a beast ] under the mulch to hold the humidity in better and give her more space to burrow. Then another fake plant will probably be a nice addition as well. :)

LucisAbsentia

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Okay, good! I feel relieved about that, I always worry that I have the setup wrong. As soon as I can get out to the bigger pet store, probably sometime next week, I'll buy those things! As of right now, I've been misting the mulch like twice a day, that seems to hold in enough moisture for her until I can get that coco fiber

LucisAbsentia

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
She's doing well! The other day I got her to eat several crickets, it was bizarre seeing how different she eats in comparison to Gabriel. She's being spoiled already, I set her up with a little shoebox bed with a t-shirt in it to sleep on at night. She also just completed a shed, I hadn't even realized she was going through one, but it was all done properly! I think, anyways, its all so much different than Gabriel.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
How is she doing ? They do have a funny way of eating....mine will rub the insect on the ground as if trying to break it apart. So is she using the little bed you made ? They usually prefer to burrow under the substrate so I wondered if she'd use the t-shirt. Are you keeping the mulch damp, it's very important for shedding.

LucisAbsentia

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
She's doing pretty well! She just eats each insect so slowly compared to Gabe. Gabe just gobbles them right up, she takes a bit with hers.

Funny story about that that's not actually so funny - she was indeed using the t-shirt, she absolutely loved it. However, one morning when I woke, she had somehow climbed out of the box. I don't know how, the t-shirt was not draped over the side, and the box was pretty deep and she has no claws, but she did it. I freaked out for a while only to find her all the way in my bathroom. So needless to say, that scared me half to death and she is now just sleeping in her tank! She does get some snuggle time before bedtime though.

I have been keeping her mulch damp! I spray it a couple times a day, turn it over a bit to see if anything is too dry.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Wow, I can imagine that gave you a scare ! :shock: And yeah, it's best for her to sleep in the tank...dirt and mulch are the true, natural bedding and they do love it. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom