Long Term Health Tips?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ellentomologist

Hatchling Member
I have one male bearded dragon named Guacamole Kangarilla. I've had him for 6 months, but do not know his exact age. I would guess that based on his original body measurements (5.5 inches, 9 grams) that he was ~2 months at time of purchase, and is now ~8 months old. He is now 16 inches long, 261 grams, and overall seems to be a very happy, healthy boy! He's alert, energetic, eats well, sheds regularly and cleanly, and has a ton of personality.

That is not to say that I am a perfect reptile keeper, and in fact there are a lot of things that I need to change about his setup, and soon! For instance, right now he's in an oddly shaped aquarium that I was given for free at work (long story). It's about 30 gallons in volume, but it's dimensions are only as follows: roughly 13 inches tall by 18 wide and 30 long. It's a bit small in general, but definitely WAY too short, allowing him to get too close to his lighting structures, which also aren't great. He's under a coil UVB - which I KNOW isn't optimal, but this is a temporary situation that I will be fixing shortly! Plus, he seems to be doing great under it so far.

For more details on his setup, I'm just going to be answering rapid-fire here:
What type substrate do you have on the bottom of your tank?
Green repticarpet cut to fit flush with our oddly sized cage. He also has a reptile hamock, 3 logs, and two homemade hides.
Heating?
I switch between a white, 100 watt basking bub and a 60 watt ceramic heat emitter depending on temperature of my living situation.
What are the temps? He always has a 105*F and a 100*F space to bask in, and the temperature in the rest of his tank is a gradient of between 90-95F on the hot end and 78-84*F on the cool end (rarely below 80*F). I check these with a temp gun at least once every 3 days and they rarely differ greatly. Most of the range is due to the time I take the temps, weather it's right after the lights turned on or mid-day.
What do you feed your dragon? Please be specific.
Currently he is getting veggies daily in the morning, right before I leave for work/class, mostly a mix of dandelion and mustard greens. Sometimes he gets some fruit as a treat, but not regularly. For bugs, I have my own colonies of superworms and dubia roaches. Since my dubia roach colony is still small, I am feeding more superworms then roaches. He gets as many bugs as he can eat once a day, every day, in the evening, and occasionally a few extras in the early afternoon if I have time to handle him first (I am trying to see if I can train him to "come", like a dog). Both insect types are gut-loaded to the best of my capacities, usually with carrot, apple, or raw squash, as those are most readily fed without fouling the colonies.
Do you use vitamin or calcium supplements? What brand(s)? How many days a week do you use each of them? Yes! Calcium with D3 4 times a week, vitamins 2 times a week, with one day off of both. I use Rep-Cal supplements as I was told that they are more easily metabolized and practically impossibly to "overdose" with. I am trying to brush up on my biochemistry right now to see if there is any truth to this or not.
Is your dragon having regular bowel movements (poops)?
Daily, occasionally twice a day if he has a bath (loves pooping in his bathes. Gross thing. :p )
Do you bath your dragon? How often?
Yes. Frequency depends, at least 2 times a week.
Do you mist your dragon or offer water other than in the bath?
He has a small water dish in his tank, always. I know this is frowned upon in general, but I have seen him drink from it on several occasions, and the humidity in his tank is still very very low. When he is shedding, I will mist him once or twice around midday and place him immediately in his basking area to dry out.

Anyway, I've been doing as much research as I can about beardies essentially whenever I can. However, two this still allude me - How do I tell if a bearded dragon is the right weight and how do I tell if a bearded dragon is properly hydrated? According to everything I've found, Guac seems to be doing well, but I'd really like more info in this! One day, probably in 3-5 years, I'd really like to start keeping larger numbers of reptiles and possibly even breeding them, so I want to learn as much about basic health as I can!

Please tell me if you have any advice and/or tips! Thank you!

EDITS: Added a few details, such as the dimensions of his current cage.

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
Everything seems correct, other than uvb of course. I've heard of one coil bulb that can be used but all I know about is that its a UVB200, I'm unsure of brand but Its around 26 watts which is rare for compact/coil bulbs.

The food is understandable, however you may want to start using a third feeder insect, crickets/silkworms/calciworms. This is because superworms are quite fatty and can cause fatty liver disease eventually if given too much. Some people say its fine for an adult dragon to eat superworms as staples but I rather not risk anything even if they only need to eat twice a week or so for insects after 20+ months.
When I give superworms I generally only give 4 at max for that feeding day.
Also you want to feed him twice a day rather than once a day until hes 12 months, then you go down to once a day. Each feed should be around 10-20 bugs.

I can explain in more detail about minimizing the smell, and deaths for crickets if you want. Honestly quite easy once you get the hang of it.

As for tank size if you have the money and are in an area that has this you could go to petco and get a 75 gallon tank, 48x18x20 for him. This would give him space to not just thermoregulate, It would also give him space to exercise. Its around $97 currently there as they have a sale going on until Feb 3rd I believe. However I wouldn't move him in there till you have a proper 34" to 46" reptisun or Arcadia T5 HO 10.0, 12% or 14% uvb bulb tube light.
For reptisun you can get it on amazon, for arcadia lightyourreptiles.
Make sure to get a fitting reflective fixture.

All beardies grow differently, at around 8 months my three beardies had quite different weights.
Saturn was around 200 grams,
Venus was around 130 grams,
And Neptune was around 295 grams.

Only advice/tip I can think of is always research, even when you think you know what your doing still research.

By the way do you got any pictures of him?
https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ You can upload them there, then when you go to reply hit the XIMG tab to select them.

Ellentomologist

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hiya Venus and Saturn,

Ah! I actually just ordered the bulb you're talking about, I'm pretty sure. Guac's current bulb is going to hit 6 months in a week, and right now I don't have the materials I want to use to build him a new cage - and I really would like to build one for him, as I have something in mind...

As for the feeders, I really intended to switch him to mostly Dubia Roaches before long - only feeding supers as often as I am right now because I just fed Guac the last of his crickets and my roach colony needs about another two weeks before it's stable enough for me to feed from. The supers are primarily for my other animals, in particular a vinegaroon who staunchly refuses to eat anything else (even if I only offer crickets/roaches for a month she'll still wait for a super). Plus, I just really enjoy darkling beetles in general. I'd love your cricket tips, regardless, though I'm not really holding my breath as I've tried keeping crickets about a million times now without it ever being even a moderately not-unpleasant experience. I will make a point to pick up some soldier fly larvae next time I can, as I find them unoffensive and Guac loves them! Thank you for the suggestion!

I will definitely boost him back to two bug feedings a day! Right now I am concerned that he is slightly underweight, and that very well could be why! I went from 2-1 a day about a month ago... Hope I haven't been starving my boy. :-(

Awesome! Thank you for the suggestion. Right now I am trying to save up to build him a specialty cage for this weird corner in my apartment so that he would be elevated in an area that is fairly temperature stable, as opposed to in my room where the temperature fluctuates a fair amount. Additionally, I'd be able to build supply/feeder storage underneath. That said, if I can't get that done within a reasonable time frame, I will certainly take your advice!

I'm not so concerned with the weight of my Guac, though I do think he's in the thin side... I just want tips on how to tell if an animal is healthy. As of today, he is 261 grams.

LOLOL! Indeed! I'm actually training to be a research biologist, so there is no doubt that I will always be looking for the latest and best supported information. One of the reasons I'm posting here!

Yes! I just took some while he was bathing today.
96999-959444470.jpg
Perching on my hand...
96999-9551682896.jpg
Standing on the couch...
96999-827018083.jpg
Here's the base of his tail, since I know some people use that for weight assessment.
96999-3612355911.jpg
And finally a head-shot!
96999-2307278663.jpg

Thank you so much for your time and effort!

P.S. Here's him trying and failing to lick my finger: https://youtu.be/zLErpvP2tu0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stump5150!
Top Bottom