Long Road Trip Advice Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oscarette

Hello, I am moving in 30 days from one side of Canada (Nova Scotia) to the other side of Canada (Alberta) it is about 5000km. We are driving out and will be camping along the way. We figure it will take us about 5 days. My BD Oscarette is 6yrs old and has not travelled much. She has moved with me before but it was a short move and I had put her in a shoe box wrapped in her blanket. But that move only took 30 mins :/ I am really nervous about travelling with her that long and we wont have her setup with us. She is very healthy and happy never seems to stress about anything lol But I have no idea how I will be able to travel with her for this long. She means the world to us and I dont want to put her in any danger or stress. One other BD owner had told me to force brumation but that just sounds dangerous and wrong to me. She does brumate on her own in the winter months but it will be summer when I travel. The reason I cant bring her setup is because we are having our stuff shipped out and the car will be filled with what we need while waiting for our things to arrive at the other end. I was thinking about shipping her out on a plane but then there wont be anyone at the other end waiting for her and she would have to stay there until I can pick her up (5 days) and I simply dont trust anyone to care for her the way we would... Also I read an article saying flying is more stressful on a BD then car travel and should be avoided when ever possible. I am at a loss of what to do, any helpful advice would be appreciated!

Thank You

Infowars

Hey,
Not sure if this will be much help?
Would she ride on your shoulder?? Our Freddie does that for hours.
If the weather is warm enough, maybe stop for half a hour here and there for natural sunlight. (We do that often)
And/or could she get sunlight from a open car window on the way?
As for camping, Freddie sleeps in my sleeping bag with me, but if that is a no go-
When she was younger, we would attach a clip on light to a large Rubbermaid tub . She would eat and sleep in there.
I have used a power inverter that clamps onto a car battery, and ran a power cord into the tent to power her light. ( I would start the car up every hour or so for a few minutes, probably not needed. Unless draining the battery for more than a few hours. Its only a 100 watt bulb and a 15 watt uvb tube. )

Then we just used this tub as part of are luggage, when in the car. We put folded shirts etc...in it. ( with our Jeep Grand Cherokee , we need to utilize all the space we can)
Not sure if any of that helps? Freddie has traveled a lot, both for weeks at a time and on weekends. I can't think of one weekend we have left her home. She even moves from my wife to my self according to what window she wants to look out of. White and stress mark free as could be . Maybe She is just used to traveling a lot?? We have not had any other bearded dragon but her.

we have little charcoal and vermiculite "hand warmers" in the US called "hot hands". They shake to activate and stay warm for hours and hours. "the heat factory" makes the ones that I prefer and they can last up to 20-24 hours depending on size. Many companies now use them for shipping of live animals during cold climate. I would suggest having them to help her stay warm enough to properly digest while on the road. Put it in a sock in a ventilated box and that would work if she doesn't want to be held all the time. Just keep an eye on the temps. some can get quite warm. I would think that as inquisitive as they are several hours of travel would be ok but watch her for being over stressed. That's a LOT of input for her lizzy brain. Keeping her comfy and secure is best. Some natural uvb along the way sure but other than that I think she would travel better if she was in a box or crate of some sort that was warm and had familiar items( that cannot fall or roll over on her) . HOpe that helps. Best of luck! May

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sage_1207
Top Bottom