Long Fluorescent UVB Bulbs VS. Mercury Vapor Bulbs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Otrobison

Hello everyone! I've been doing some research on comparing and contrasting Fluorescent Tube Bulbs such as 22" and 24" TH5 10.0 bulbs with domes and Mercury Vapor Bulbs which provide UVB and UVA basking temperatures and I wanted to get some other opinions on what people think about each of them such as the benefits and down-sides of both. I would love to hear everyone's opinions because I currently own both and would love to know which I should be using for my current setup (beardie age and vivarium size) Thank you!

98973-8538934826.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I use both, but differently. I prefer a T5 in the enclosure mainly so I can set it at an appropriate height for UVB output and control heat independently. Using a halogen for heat I can dim it and use a thermostat - this can't be done with a MVB.

I use MVBs partly for travel due to convenience, and mostly just as basking spots around the house. I have them hanging from adjustable stands and set them to a reasonable heat and UV output combination. I don't monitor as closely with these since they are wide open and my dragon can sit to the side of them easily if he wants to. I just tweak their heights a bit depending on what his mood seems to be.

In both cases, it's important to invest in high quality bulbs. Partly for safety and mostly for quality control. The more expensive bulbs (generally speaking) are more consistent in their output than the lower end bulbs are. It's also good to have a bulb with a fairly wide beam like the PowerSun or Arcadia bulbs. Megaray is also good, but tends to have a narrower intense beam of UVB based on my testing. My dragon loves his and sits under it often.

Otrobison

Original Poster
Otrobison":1lc2rcxa said:
CooperDragon":1lc2rcxa said:
I use both, but differently. I prefer a T5 in the enclosure mainly so I can set it at an appropriate height for UVB output and control heat independently. Using a halogen for heat I can dim it and use a thermostat - this can't be done with a MVB.

I use MVBs partly for travel due to convenience, and mostly just as basking spots around the house. I have them hanging from adjustable stands and set them to a reasonable heat and UV output combination. I don't monitor as closely with these since they are wide open and my dragon can sit to the side of them easily if he wants to. I just tweak their heights a bit depending on what his mood seems to be.

In both cases, it's important to invest in high quality bulbs. Partly for safety and mostly for quality control. The more expensive bulbs (generally speaking) are more consistent in their output than the lower end bulbs are. It's also good to have a bulb with a fairly wide beam like the PowerSun or Arcadia bulbs. Megaray is also good, but tends to have a narrower intense beam of UVB based on my testing. My dragon loves his and sits under it often.

Awesome opinion and I think I sit a little toward the T5s as well. I am currently trying out the PowerSun 80w on a clip for my 3 month old in a 40GB and she seems to really love it and it makes a 99-102F degree basking area which is perfect but it makes the rest of the vivarium dim so I ordered a bulb clip so I can put an LED on the other side to shine on the cooler side without producing any heat.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Your temps are just right with that. How far up above the basking area is it sitting? I have my 100w PowerSun sitting at around 12'' and it's putting out around 2 UVI after burning in (which is actually a bit lower than I'd like. 105 right under the bulb and down to room temp as you move away from it. With the 80w you'd probably want it in the 8-10'' range (educated guess) for proper UVB output.

Otrobison

Original Poster
CooperDragon":1xawvscm said:
Your temps are just right with that. How far up above the basking area is it sitting? I have my 100w PowerSun sitting at around 12'' and it's putting out around 2 UVI after burning in (which is actually a bit lower than I'd like. 105 right under the bulb and down to room temp as you move away from it. With the 80w you'd probably want it in the 8-10'' range (educated guess) for proper UVB output.

Her hammock is 9" away from basking bulb and her logs are almost 10" away. I plan on getting the 100W in a few months when her diet changes a bit and she grows and I can get a basking temp of 100F-105F.

98973-7184326052.jpg
(See how dim the cool side is? Need to get her a lil' light that clips in the center)

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That should be about right in terms of the height for UVB output. Having some more light for the enclosure is probably a good idea too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skyfall350
Top Bottom