lonely dragons?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lemmons

after advice from a few of the guys on here i've separated my chappers and george, they both seem a bit lonely now though! george is in the 'new' tank designed for the babies which is only 3ft by just under 2ft by just under 2ft (chappers is in the 4ft/2ft/2ft) george seems to sit in the same spot all the time and isnt as active as he was (but he was never as active as chappers, except when he was chasing her), although he still chases after crickets eagerly enough.they both protest less to being handled. are they missing each other? george has a basking site of 100 degrees, cool end just over 80 he sits under the branch which is his basking site.

Poisoned1

Gray-bearded Member
It's called relocation stress, it's not that it's lonely it's just that something is different, it will past in about a week and they will be back to normal.

lemmons

Original Poster
oh good i was starting to worry i'd done the wrong thing! do you think george's tank is big enough for him? he's about 18months old. i can't pursuade my husband to let me have a bigger one for him - we just don't have the room and can't afford it.

Vxironwoman

I had to separate my two dragons and my male is very mopey. She had been adopted into a new loving home, and since she has left he just curls up in a corner and doesn't move. He will eat on occasion, but he has lost all enthusiasm. I want him to be happy, which he definitely was before... but now he is definitely depressed.

I am glad I am not the only one with these issues. But what do we do? His temps have stayed the same, everything is the same except the fact that she is no longer with him. I feel like I am the bad guy here... :(

Poisoned1

Gray-bearded Member
Just time can fix different surroundings, like i said a week or two and you dragon will be back to normal.

Vxironwoman

He's about 10 months... You think it's brumation? I don't know... I think he is sad because he lost his best friend... they were very close.

Poisoned1

Gray-bearded Member
Trust me beardies don't bond, they dominate each other or submit to each other.

He's not lonely, you will see a lot of stories about beardies coming from pet stores and they don't eat or move much it's because they are in a new enviroment they are not used to it.

Relocation stress...have a look at it.

Vxironwoman

But he hasn't been relocated... the only thing different is she is gone. If I take him out and cuddle with him he is fine... but once he is back in it's mope mope mope! Poor guy...

If you saw these two when they were together, you would think differently about whether Beardies bond or not. Most may not, but these two should have been joined at the hip. If I took him out, she wanted to be out right next to him. If he crawled to hide in his cave she would follow and curl up next to him. Vise versa. They were buddies, best buddies!

I understand that the males dominate and females submit. Because they had those moments too. But I have never heard of females tagging along. It was like follow the leader and they would take turns on being the leader. So CUTE!

I think me and him are going to watch a romantic movie now... maybe that will cheer him up! LOL

spyder79

Extreme Poster
relocation stress does not have to involve moving. it can be any significant change in their habitat IE taking the female out of the tank is a big difference. No matter how much you want to think your beardie is feeling lonliness. It just is not true. They are a completely solitary animal. the only time they "enjoy" coming into contact is to procreate. Your beardie is adjusting to the change in his home. It wont take long trust me. You did the right thing it is not healthy for a male and female to be housed together.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Panthercat
Top Bottom