Lizzy's back injury

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sylvie

Dear all,

Lizzy, my son's 2-month old bearded dragon was relaxing in its soaking dish when my other son put his finger on its back and I heard a sound similar to a twig being broken (it went very fast and I was horrified!). Lizzy seemed OK and held on my thumb with all of its claws (no weak limbs). However, this afternoon, I noticed that its back is now in a "S" shape and Lizzy obviously walks funny (more hopping than zooming towards the crickets). It eats and poops fine so far. Is its back broken? or is the "s" shape caused by an inflammation of a vertebrae? Will it ever come back to normal? Is there anything we can do? I called the petshop owner who told me that a visit to the vet might cost a lot. He also told me that Lizzy might learn how to live with the scoliosis. Sorry for all those questions. We're new at this!

Thanks!

LJean

Extreme Poster
Other than going to see a vet to determine the extent of the damage I have no advice to offer.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Did he push down hard on the back? It takes a pretty hard push directly on the spine to cause the vertebrae to slip. So the back is in the shape of an S now?
Can you post a picture of that? Thanks.
As far as him recovering, he certainly can, but, it will take some time. Most likely what happened is that a vertebrae got pushed out of alignment & the soft tissue is swelling causing the muscles around it to spasm. At least he can walk.
No the backs hardly ever get broken due to the anatomical makeup of their backs. They do not have discs inbetween their vertebrae, but, that does make them vulnerable to back injuries & or strains of the soft tissue surrounding the vertebraes unfortunately.
There is a product called Serrapeptase, which is dried silkworm enzyme, that you can get. It helps with soft tissue swelling & alleviates any pain as well. You can buy it from: http://www.serrapeptase.org
Also, physical therapy such as water therapy can be very helpful on a daily basis, too. Make sure that his basking spot is low so he doesn't have to climb & strain himself too much to further injure the area as well. You can also lay him on a towel in the bath while he is relaxing, & gently work on straightening his back, & letting him sit there while soaking if he will tolerate it.

Keep us posted on him.

Tracie

Sylvie

Original Poster
Dear Tracie,

You have been most helpful and encouraging! That's the first time in two days that I hear something hopeful for Lizzy. It ate very well today again and lifted its little head when I talked to it (I use "it" because the gender hasn't been determined yet). It is still able to climb on its favorite spot (a fake rock with butterflies on it). Anyway, "thank you" and I will definitely keep you posted.

Sylvie

P.S.: I'll try to get a picture posted tomorrow.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Sylvie,

You are welcome. I would like to follow your case if that is ok. :D Please post a picture when you can.
It is great that he is eating though & can still climb. At least he doesn't seem to be in much or any pain right now which is really good.
Hopefully, he will have a full recovery, but definitely try to make things as easy on him as possible.
Talk soon.

Tracie

Sylvie

Original Poster
Morning, Tracie!

I do have a picture of Lizzy but I just spent 15 minutes trying to figure out how to import it on my message.
This morning, I worked gently on Lizzy's back (just holding it in place) and, after 3-4 minutes, it looked almost straight! But then, Lizzy shivered and the spine went back to the "s" shape again. I put Lizzy back on its basking spot and left it alone. Poor thing...

I did look at the serrapeptase website. Since it is meant for human consumption, what dosage and method of administering would you use for a lizard?

Thank you so much!

Sylvie

Sylvie

Original Poster
lizzie2.jpg

Dear Tracie,

Here's the picture I was telling you about. No the best angle but that's all we could do with the laptop camera. The picture got turned around so the left side is actually the right. You can see how the belly bulges to the right (left on the pic) where the spine changes direction. It is really an "s."

I made an appointment with the vet on Friday morning to see what can be done. She said that it's a good sign that Lizzy is still walking around (i.e. the back isn't broken). I'll keep you posted.

Sylvie

LJean

Extreme Poster
I hope it's good news from the vet! Maybe that physical therapy will do the trick.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Sylvie,

Oh great you have a vet's appointment.
The serrapeptase can be used for reptiles, & mammals. Start with 25mg daily, & you can break that up in 2 doses if you want. It is tasteless so you can mix it with her greens or with water or juice, no problem.
How is she doing today? Did you do any water therapy today? Please keep me posted on her.
Does she appear to be in any pain?

Tracie

Sylvie

Original Poster
Hi Tracie!

Lizzy is doing well. It could stand nice and tall on its four legs today, even though its back is still crooked.
It ate with greater appetite too (more greens & more enthusiasm running after the crickets!).

However, I soaked Lizzy in its bath dish this evening and it didn't relax as much as last night when its hind legs became all relaxed and its eyes closed. Today, Lizzy seemed on alert (maybe the memory of the "crime" scene?) and breathing deeply. The soaking motion was also more pronounced than before, maybe because the body is angled differently.

Having the vet appointment one week after the injury is actually a good thing since it will give Lizzy some time to recover and we'll be able to observe its behavior for a longer period of time before reporting to the doctor. But it seems also far away and I can't wait to hear what can be done.

One question: Do most of you have pet insurance for your beardies? Is it worth it or is it a scam? or both?
This is obviously the first family pet.

Thanks for your concerns for Lizzy and for the info re. the serrapeptase.

Sylvie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoseofChaos
Top Bottom