Lizzie ate a Firefly (it didn't end well) Trigger alert

Rocky2022

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Rocky, Ruby
I've been helping someone with their two month old beardie, Lizzie...the conversations consisted of:
  1. no red bulbs
  2. no coil bulbs
  3. no she doesn't need a bath every day
  4. she's two months old....she can't eat every plant!
  5. No you can't train her
  6. cut up her spinach, it's bigger than her face
  7. What are the temperatures in the enclosure?
  8. she doesn't need the lights on 24 hours a day!

But I forgot to tell him about the fireflies!!
I received a frantic text that Lizzie ate a firefly and things with downhill.

RIP Lizzie
While you were with your owner for 2 weeks, he loved you dearly (in his own way). You touched his heart in such a short time.
Lizzie was the only beardie that had a calm demeanor at such a young age.

I promised, I tried my very best to save Lizzie but I didn't cover everything!

Attachments

• Jul_10_2023_9_29_12.jpg
    Jul_10_2023_9_29_12.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I've been helping someone with their two month old beardie, Lizzie...the conversations consisted of:
  1. no red bulbs
  2. no coil bulbs
  3. no she doesn't need a bath every day
  4. she's two months old....she can't eat every plant!
  5. No you can't train her
  6. cut up her spinach, it's bigger than her face
  7. What are the temperatures in the enclosure?
  8. she doesn't need the lights on 24 hours a day!

But I forgot to tell him about the fireflies!!
I received a frantic text that Lizzie ate a firefly and things with downhill.

RIP Lizzie
While you were with your owner for 2 weeks, he loved you dearly (in his own way). You touched his heart in such a short time.
Lizzie was the only beardie that had a calm demeanor at such a young age.

I promised, I tried my very best to save Lizzie but I didn't cover everything!
That is terrible - firefly's are toxic to dragons

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
I'm very sorry to hear that 😔
My brother lost his first beardie the same way. Fireflies are deadly, my brothers beardie was 1.5 years old so just 1 will kill even an adult.
Btw spinach is a bad idea also, it's a calcium binder. It can be fed in small amounts, but personally i just avoid it.
If you live where there is fireflies it's a good idea to keep activated charcoal on hand, it might save your beardie if it snatches a firefly, if you get it in them fast enough.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh no, I am so very sorry you lost Lizzy like that, how awful!:cry: It is a good idea to keep activated
charcoal on hand for something like that. Most of the time they don't make it when ingesting a fire
fly but there are accounts where some have & had been given activated charcoal pretty quickly.
My condolences for your loss.

Tracie

Rocky2022

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rocky, Ruby
I passed on your condolences ....

@xp29 I forgot to note *greens after saying to cut up spinach (add that too the list). I was not in the right frame of mind writing that. I am no expert by any means but whewwwwwwwwwww I felt for Lizzie. It was the oddest relationship because he loved her but he wasn't ready for her.

This is an adult, I think of me, think of this community (and he admits to consistently researching) but there was a disconnect somewhere. I am not pointing blame but trying to understand because maybe there's something more I could've done too (this is not about me). I am sad we lost a beardie!

Also, I received a picture of the beardie, NO WARNING before they put it down. I was upset. I learned that they gave her something to put her to sleep...then she passed. - if someone could confirm that this truly helps the situation, I will feel so much better.

Get this, the VERY NEXT DAY text me with a new beardie in hand. I yelled, "TAKE IT BACK." His spouse got it because he was so devastated. No no no no no!

ON THIS SITE, I learned about the activated charcoal (I didn't know, I thought it was it but there's one success story that is in a thread. Of course, I wanted to run out and buy some, but I don't even live where there are fireflies.
I started with the what ifs but pulled myself together (for now).
The new beardie was taken back to the breeder...he is NOT ready for another beardie. I told him that I would visit with Rocky over the next few months.
To comfort him, I send him daily videos of Rocky...it seems to help.

Thank you everyone (from me and him)!

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
I'm glad he took it back, it takes a certain commitment to successfully keep beardies, if you can't or won't do that then it's better not to bring them home. I feel bad for him though, it's easy to get attached to them.
As fas as the activated charcoal, it's good to keep on hand, you never know what they will gobble up if they get a chance. (I need to practice what I preach I don't have any atm either)

Rocky2022

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rocky, Ruby
Can someone show me the charcoal that you purchased? I see a few varieties- I am not sure which one to get. I thank you in advance.

Rocky2022

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rocky, Ruby
Do you know my mother had some of the charcoal? WHO KNEW?! I meant to circle back to this post.
Thank goodness I didn't need to use it.

I mean a gnat from my plant landed in his bath water and died but all is well. Rocky didnt make an attempt to eat it.

Rocky2022

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rocky, Ruby
I am upset....Lizzie's parent has another beardie....for 3 months now. Called me upset around 9pm as the beardie was black bearding. I walked through the scenarios and realized the temps were on 60. We fixed the issue immediately but I don't think this parent is ready but wont listen to me. What do I do? I am grateful that I received the call but I am concerned.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
I helped someone last year that was the same. All you can do is try to keep guiding them in the right direction. I know it's hard and very heart breaking when they won't listen and take action. But we have to be the advocates for these little guys. Maybe something you say will get through to them.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom