Lizards love dubia

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajkry2

Gray-bearded Member
Man, oh man... I've had Sahara for about a year. I fed her crickets for the first few months, then i heard about these dubia. So I gave it a shot, started a colony -- I'm so thankful I did! haven't spent a dime on feeders im 6-8 months :mrgreen:

then my colony started to get out of control. instead of selling some off (like i probably should have) i decided to get 2 baby leopard geckos (circe and calypso). they have eaten me out of house and home. they eat upwards of 20-30 babies/small nymphs a night! so now Sahara's eating all of my large nymphs/male adults, and the leos are eating all my babies/small nymphs.

so back to buying feeders... 1000 supers for sahara, 200 mealies for the leos, and as many adult dubia as i can get my hands on :lol:

the feeder runaround. i did NOT miss it ;)

Phoenix17June2009

Gray-bearded Member
hahha i know what you mean!! we were buying some form of feeder every week and it does add up really quick! here's an idea for you though! This is what i did... i ordered i think 4 boxes total of dubia, two per bin which was around 1500 or more a bin... i left one bin alone for months... aside from food/water and cleaning i didnt touch them so they booooomed while i fed from the other bin, and now i have swapped out instead of my red bin i'm now using my blue... that way my sticky legged friends in the red box have some breeding time :silent: and i'm feeding from my blue! it has worked great so if you get your colony back up and running i would give it a shot this way! its really helped me a lotttttt

Phoenix17June2009

Gray-bearded Member
i hope it works as well for you as it has for me! of course the bin you arent using does go through a good bit more food and water crystals but hey whatever i need to do to not have to buy feeders lol!!! :D

jeschardies

Hatchling Member
Great idea! I have two beardies and wondered how my colony of dubia would hold up once its going. I do know that I don't want to buy feeders again and have also debated breeding supers to ensure my independence from the feeder buying world. I'll have to try this in a couple of months as my colony has just started hatching babies this month......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
s4mclain
Top Bottom