Lizard smell??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've noticed in the past week or so my 3 year old female is smelling "lizardy". I've never noticed her smelling at all before, apart from her poos. I thought that maybe she'd just stepped through something so she had her weekly bath this evening as normal. But when I got her out she still smells. It mostly appears to be on her back. Not an overpowering smell at all, just when you get very close to her it's noticeable and when you open her viv in the morning.

She has also been unwell recently, the vet is treating her for worms with panacur and I'm awaiting the results of her fecal sample to make sure there are no other parasites. Her skin looks fine, no obvious sign of anything like a fungal or skin infection. Just a bit smelly lol. Is there anything I could put in her bath water that would help?

Also just to add that as soon as I notice a poo in her viv I take it out, so she rarely does walk through it, but sometimes she moves quicker than I do.

Just a brief overview of her setup:
vivarium: 4ft x 23 inch x 16 inch (It's the one she came in)
Swell reptile 24 inch/ 18 w UVB Lamp (it's a tube not a coil)
Basking bulb and thermostat.
Basking temp - 104 f / 40 c
Cold end - 75 f / 24 c
She is also out of her viv for a large amount of the day as she loves to climb and explore so I have set up an Arcadia D3 UV Basking Lamp and she runs around my room and comes back to bask when she gets cold.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
They have a mild smell sometimes but if it's bothersome it may be from bacteria buildup on their skin. You can add some betadine to the bath (if just using some mild baby soap doesn't help) to help reduce that a bit as needed.

sparkybeardyandme

Original Poster
Thanks I might give that a try if it happens again. We gave her a little scrub with a soft toothbrush and that seems to have helped, obviously being very gentle. I think she just got a bit grubby whilst she was poorly as she wouldn't stay in the bath very long. All clean now!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kiricowell
Top Bottom