lizard not eating vegetables

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feed my bd cactus pad & every now & then carrots with the cactus pad. I feed him supers and phoenix worms at night always eats all of them. He is a year and three months and 18 inches long. his lighting is a reptisun 5.0 uvb. temps are hot side 102 and cold side 80 and tile is used for the tile substrate. any suggestions on how to make him eat his vegetables. :? :|

Leo123

You could try putting a few Phoenix Worms in the salad to encourage him to atleast taste it, he may not like cactus pad. Also i know it sounds cruel but try not feeding him his Phoenix worms/supers for a day or so, if he's hungry enough he will eat the salad.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
keithsrambo":65ae6 said:
i had that but it started burning her
Did you mean that you had the Repti-Sun 10.0 fluorescent but it burned him? The UVB's don't actually get hot, could you please clarify for us?

keithsrambo

Original Poster
diamc":68ed0 said:
keithsrambo":68ed0 said:
i had that but it started burning her
Did you mean that you had the Repti-Sun 10.0 fluorescent but it burned him? The UVB's don't actually get hot, could you please clarify for us?
not a burn from heat but from sun(light)

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Keith, were you using the Repti-Sun 10.0 fluorescent or a coil/compact bulb? How far away did you have it?

keithsrambo

Original Poster
diamc":7beab said:
Keith, were you using the Repti-Sun 10.0 fluorescent or a coil/compact bulb? How far away did you have it?
Repti-sun 10.0 fluorescent and it is 10-12 inches from basking area. It is mounted inside the cage below the screen.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That doesn't seem right. At the 10-12 inch distance, the UV rays shouldn't be strong enough to burn her. Did you have a white basking bulb alongside the UVB? What did you see that suggested a burn from the UV rays?

keithsrambo

Original Poster
diamc":0bff2 said:
That doesn't seem right. At the 10-12 inch distance, the UV rays shouldn't be strong enough to burn her. Did you have a white basking bulb alongside the UVB? What did you see that suggested a burn from the UV rays?
the lizard hid under the cave all the time. When she hid she always put her eyes in the opposite direction of the light. I described how she was acting to the local reptile shop and she said to use a 5.0. Immediately she started basking again and stopped hiding. Most people put the bulb above the mesh screen and that blocks a lot of the rays. I use a 100watt ceramic heat bulb for her to bask under.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I think I found the reason for the UVB bothering her. It's recommended to use a bright white basking bulb alongside the UVB so that their eyes can dilate correctly so that sounds like what happened, it irritated her eyes so she was avoiding it. I'll bet if you used that bulb again & with a bright white basking bulb alongside it, she would be much happier. I would recommend that you use a white bulb now even with the 5.0. The 5.0's aren't really strong enough for a bearded dragon.

keithsrambo

Original Poster
diamc":0f8e0 said:
I think I found the reason for the UVB bothering her. It's recommended to use a bright white basking bulb alongside the UVB so that their eyes can dilate correctly so that sounds like what happened, it irritated her eyes so she was avoiding it. I'll bet if you used that bulb again & with a bright white basking bulb alongside it, she would be much happier. I would recommend that you use a white bulb now even with the 5.0. The 5.0's aren't really strong enough for a bearded dragon.
how does the lizard get heat at night then?

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
You would use the bright white basking light during the day and if the room temp drops below 65 at night, then you would use the ceramic heat emitter. For a daylight basking bulb, you can even use a standard household light bulb.

The Repti-Sun 10.0 fluorescent is the best UVB you can get in the U.S. and since it is so trusted and has done so well with all the testing done on it, it's recommended to have it 6 to 8" from the beardie as long as it is used right alongside the white basking bulb. I have been using them for years and have had nothing but positive results when used that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HeathLizard
Top Bottom