living with yellow fungus

Status
Not open for further replies.

sammmycakes

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Her appetite is still okay, not worrisome but she's not eating like she was.
The new spots are all on one side of her head, one near her ear, the corner of her eye and a bit on her shoulder. I tried to gently wipe her eye will a qtip because it was crusty looking and starting to swell. A big bit of crust came off so now it's just a yellow spot.

She's become quite lethargic over the past two weeks.. not moving around her tank as much and isn't as curious as she used to be.

I went over everything she's gone through in her life and I'm now thinking back before I had her when she was treated for a "scale infection" that it may have just been the beginning of the fungus. That started in October, I brought her home in November and noticed the yellow patches the end of January. We started the medication February 15th. I'm hoping I didn't leave it too long if it really did start back in October..

Some guilt is setting it. I want to do everything I can to help her but I don't want her to suffer or keep living in discomfort...

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am sorry that you didn't catch it sooner. It is elusive sometimes & you don't realize what it is.
All you can do is your best & try to see if you can make any progress right now.
Really though, it wasn't that long of a window if it did start in October. You got her on meds quickly.
Are you still giving probiotics for her also?
Try to keep her as hydrated as you can to help out with her being on the meds. Are you continuing the meds for now?
Has her beard been darker lately or not?
I hope Pixel is doing better. Keep us posted on her.

Tracie

sammmycakes

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I am still giving her the probiotics maybe 3 times a week, she absolutely hates it.
Her beard was dark for a couple of days and I really thought I was losing her, but yesterday I noticed she was completely perked up and her appetite came back with full force! It is the same today as well. Shes eating tons of bugs, salad AND pellets and drinking her water. (she's one of the unusual beardies that drinks out of a bowl lol!)

She has a shed developing over the newest yellow spots I noticed. I'm hoping it will just come off with the shed! Her temperament is great. **I've actually had her out for cuddle time twice since yesterday and she was really well behaved. ** (except of course both times i had her out she decided it was a good time to poop.....)

We finished all of the voriconazole so she is not on any medication at the moment. Her vet appointment is in just over a week. I'm hoping she keeps on improving.

** For anyone that doesn't know, Pixel rarely gets to come out of her tank because she is very very aggressive.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am happy to hear that Pixel had a good day!
How is she doing today, has she eaten well again?
She doesn't like the probiotics at all? That is pretty funny too bad she doesn't like them.
That is great she was really perked up & appeared to be feeling better.
At least she enjoyed being out with you also. I guess she was feeling pretty good!
You are right, not too many drink out of a water bowl!
Maybe those spots will shed off, hopefully. Please keep us posted on her shed.
I wasn't sure if she was still on the meds. Her body needs a break from them right now. I hope she continues improving for you.

Tracie

sammmycakes

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
she still seems to be eating and drinking normally! she might even be actually eating more than she was before. I think she looks kinda fat lol! My mom keeps thinking she has an egg belly but it doesn't feel like it. She just feels plump!

Heres a lovely picture of her displaying her plumpness for us...

her shed has cracked and tiny pieces have come off. not enough to see whats underneath yet. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

I will update as soon as she's done shedding and hopefully I will come back with good news!

sammmycakes

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
As of today Pixel is fungus free!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am so excited I want to squish her with cuddles.
Now I just have to get rid of what they think transferred to me as a fungal rash on my face (been there for about a month) and keep everybody away from it!

She goes back again in a few weeks to get a stool sample tested and just a second over all check and then we may be in the clear for 6 months! Our vet wants to monitor her by seeing her every six months for a little while (at a very reduced cost, 23$ a visit!) Just to make sure we keep it under control.

Oh we are so very happy here :)

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is fantastic news Pixel is fungus free! I hope she stays that way, congratulations. :D
She does have a nice round beardie belly, too.

Tracie

Jenna8359

Hatchling Member
What type of medication did you use? I would like to get some I case my dragons have yellow fungus. One of my dragons was thought to have it internally but not show any outside signs. After many weeks of antibiotics for what they thought was a sepsis gout infection, we had to put him to sleep. He was ten years old and having neurological problems.

sammmycakes

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Jenna8359":ifw55ad1 said:
What type of medication did you use? I would like to get some I case my dragons have yellow fungus. One of my dragons was thought to have it internally but not show any outside signs. After many weeks of antibiotics for what they thought was a sepsis gout infection, we had to put him to sleep. He was ten years old and having neurological problems.

the medication i used was called voriconazole.

sammmycakes

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Oh yes she's doing excellent. Nice and chubby and happy. I'm still very nervous about bathing her because the water seemed to spread the fungus so quickly in the beginning... but she drinks her water every other day so I think it's okay for me to skip the baths????

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is so awesome Pixel is free of fungus! She is gorgeous & smiling in the picture. :D
That is perfectly fine to skip the baths since she is drinking well on her own!

I am so happy for you both.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom