Little guy keeps closing one of his eyes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today I notices that my little guy (about 6-8 weeks old) keeps closing his left eye. When I picked her up and handled her for a few seconds she opened it up, slowly. We kept her with us while we watched a movie and she kept both the eyes open. However, sometime after we put her in the tank, she closed that eye again. What I noticed is that it's the eye that usually faces the UVB light (10.0 Reptisun 18" tube). Her basking spot (~107F) usually places her ~7-8 inches from the UVB. From the bit of reading that I've done it seems that some dragons will close one of their eyes from time to time, so it could be nothing, but to be on the safe side I lowered her basking area so that it's about 10" from the light and actually turned the UVB off just to give her eye a break. Also, used sterile contacts solution and a qtip to try and clean out her eye just in case there is something foreign lodged in there because I've also noticed her scratch at it once or twice and rub that side of her head on things in the tank.

It does not seem to be infected (yet? knock on wood) and she's still just as active and hungry as she's ever been.

Looking for any and all suggestions, comments, concerns. Let me know if any further info is needed.

LemonyFresh

Original Poster
Also, just took another look at her, and while she opened her closed eye, it seemed to be recessed more than the other that seems more flush with his head. Also as if his lids were puffier, though they did not seem like it, can't tell the difference.

daner923

Gray-bearded Member
Maybe you could post a picture? If he's shedding, it might have something to do with it. Otherwise, I'm not sure.

LemonyFresh

Original Poster
"BAD" eye.
closed.jpg

BAD EYE when it's open:
badeyeopen.jpg

"GOOD" eye
open.jpg

ENCLOSURE:
IMAG0266.jpg

LemonyFresh

Original Poster
So, this morning, noticed that her eye was getting worse. She's starting to get a little bit of either gunk or minor swelling. Either way, little girl is going to the vet tomorrow. At least we are fortunate to have a fantastic exotic vet (SEAVS) in Fairfax, VA. Got on the phone with them and they were able to squeeze me in tomorrow morning. In the meantime, told me to keep giving her warm baths and continue with sterile rinse/qtips. Without having looked at her yet, they're thinking it's possibly some form of conjunctivitis. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aleyna
Top Bottom