little brown bugs in dubia colony

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't have any idea what they are but teeny tiny brown bugs, just your average run of the mill looking bug, but super tiny. I did not even notice that they were there until there were thousands. I guess they prevented the roaches from breeding because all the sudden there were barely any left hah. so i took out all the roaches i had (only like 20!) and emptied everything out and threw it all away. i washed out the whole tub with extremely hot water and clorox.
I got a whole new feed for them (took a bunch of different recipes i found on here) to try and bring the colony back. Nothing happened and now there are the little white bugs in there again.
I guess i just need to get rid of the whole colony, clean it out again, and start all over. If thats the case, how do i prevent this from happening again because i am a college student with out a job with barely any money and cant afford to let this happen again.

ahhh!!!!

brunoboy

YIKES. I've been noticing these little brown bugs too------I don't know what they are. Hopefully some kind of cleaner? What happened to your roaches? Did they just die off?

Abe Lincoln

Original Poster
i dont know, i left my boyfriend in charge of them, bad idea i guess. he thought those little tiny bugs were the baby roaches so always told me that there were plenty in there so i never checked. about 2 months later i finally checked and ......tons of non roaches and barely any actual roaches.

Abe Lincoln

Original Poster
im working on getting a picture, i dont have a camera.
i also have to figure out how to put pictures on here, so ill have it asap :/

0mega9401

Hatchling Member
omg could it be some sort of mites? mabye i dont know but i just started my own little colony!
im sure one of the breeders on here knows what the are

Abe Lincoln

Original Poster
i have no idea.
i dont really even know how im going to get a picture of them though they are so small.
all i can say about them is that they are the same little bugs that can be found on like crackers and stuff.
theyre one of the bugs us humans accidently consume cause they blend in with bread and crackers and such and we eat them. they dont harm us but i wonder if they are harming the roaches, or preventing them from reproducing. maybe they are eating their eggs. do roaches lay eggs? AHHH i dont know!
i guess the best thing i could do would be to just restart my whole colony. but how do i make sure they dont get infested again?

patrickb

Juvie Member
I agree with clear, without a pic it is hard to really indentify what they are. From your description they do sound like they are a mite of some sorts, probably a grain mite. They can hitch in a ride on any grain based food or they can be present in the environment and migrate over to the roach bin where there is a good food source.

Are these little bugs on the roaches themselves or just on and around the food?

Ihaggerty1313

Juvie Member
What are you feeding them? Any type of chicken mash or grain? Get a pic up. I don't want to say what I think they are until I've identified them. No need for confusion.

-Ian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom