little beardy outside

Status
Not open for further replies.

dualbeardies

So, ive got a beardy thats about 5 months old, about 10" long, healthy little guy. I had got him from Petco. Ive taken him outside twice now and have a little fenced area for him. But when i take him out, as soon as i put him down he freaks out, runs as fast as he can around the fenced area (which is 3 times the size of his cage inside) trying to get away and if you look at him or try to pick him up he puffs up completely and hisses like crazy. Im guessing hes just never been outside and is probably just scared, so i dont leave him out very long. My question is: am i stressing him out too much doing this? Is it good for him and he'll eventually get used to it? Or should i just not bother taking him outside until hes a full grown adult? Thank you for your help.

KristineM

Gray-bearded Member
Hi there!! How long have you had your beardie? Is he new enough to still be adjusting to his new home? If you're taking him outside, I'd suggest smaller steps maybe? Start a few minutes at a time and hold him so he feels safe. If you just got him from a pet store, he's certainly not used to having all that space to run around. Probably not even used to having the room you have provided him with in his new home :)

Give him a little time and be patient. He'll come around!

Spike1etta

Hatchling Member
Most likely he is freaking out because he senses predators. Birds flying over head etc and has no place to hide once you put him down.

KristineM

Gray-bearded Member
Very true...just read that he is only 10 inches. I'd still suggest holding him while outside for a while first but always have something overhead too. A screen maybe and I'd bring a hide out with you as well. That way if he feels the need to hide he can. He should also be able to get out of the sun when he chooses.

dualbeardies

Original Poster
Thank you! I didnt think about the whole prey thing. I took him out today and covered half of his outdoor cage and he was definetely happier and wasnt freaking out trying to run away.

bunnyrut

Gray-bearded Member
bunnyrut":280vb3ih said:
i should make a specific topic for this. here's how i got Mr Dargon used to going outside.

• 1. Have a harness. any kind. buy one, make one. do not attempt to take you beardie outside without one. (search topics for lost beardies).
    you may have the most calm and docile beardie inside, but once they get outside that changes. they move fast and frighten easily. If your beardie is too small to fit in a harness they are too small to go outside.

2. Hold your beardie. never put them on the ground and stand over them. you will look like a predator and they will puff at you or try to run away. i suggest having them on your chest the first couple of times, they can see your face and run up to your neck if they get scared.

3. Cover them. if at any point they tense up or look overwhelmed cover them with your hands or a blanket. i used my hands. it shows them that you are protecting them, and it greatly helps with bonding.

4. Talk to them. There are a lot of new noises that they have never heard before. They know your voice. talking to them gives them something familiar and can keep them a bit calmer.

5. Allow them to move around when they are ready. you can sit on the ground, once they start to get used to what is new around them they may try to climb down to do some exploring. if you are sitting on the ground they can climb down to your lap and look around. they may run under your legs to hide at one point.

6. If at any point your beardie looks too overwhelmed bring them back inside. give them a treat and let them calm down a bit before attempting to go back out. you may find that you can only be outside for 5-10 minutes.

After a while of them getting used to going outside they may "demand" to go out more. They will get more comfortable and want to explore. they may also try to act tough and charge at you. I laughed at Mr Dargon and poked his beard for doing this, but I also know he would never bite me. I would never attempt that with Tasty Treat, she will bite. you know your beardie best.

Mr Dargon had his harness and a 'leash' (a shoelace) and was able to run around the yard freely while i was outside. if he saw something that frightened him he would run underneath me.

your beardie will get really dark when they first go outside. they are absorbing the UV rays, aka charging. once they are fully charged they will get really bright and really hyper. you will see them move faster than you ever thought they could. watch out for their claws.

TIPS:
check the humidity index for the day. do not take them outside if the humidity is above 65%. they can get sick.

be mindful of birds. they are a bearded dragon's natural enemy, and even though your beardie has never seen one they know enough to be afraid of them.

have a shaded area for them to run to. it could be a tree, a bush, or you can put out a small umbrella. they still need a hide outside.

never EVER walk away and leave your beardie outside alone. so many things can happen in a few minutes with you not around. they can escape or something can grab them (hawks, coyotes, stray cats). predators are fast, and you literally can not hear them coming.

do not use a glass tank to keep them outside. like the inside of your car, the temperatures rise rapidly because of the glass (greenhouse effect).

beardielove10

Hatchling Member
Yeah mine did this a lot when they were that young, they feel so vulnerable in a big world full of danger like that. Until it learns to trust you and that you will protect it, it won't feel comfortable. Going outside is a very big step and I would suggest letting it get used to you and its new home for a good while before taking that step.

PS-many birds fly above and many things can happen to your Beardie in a matter of seconds. Staying right next to your Beardie is crucial when outside, not only for the beardie to feel better that its owner is there, but that nothing happens. It's like leaving a piece of candy in the wide open in front of a bunch of kids,its not good to leave your beardie alone...bad things happen. Please be safe about it!

carlisv

Hatchling Member
I bought a reptarium that's about the size of a breeder tank, and take our fellas out (one at a time, of course) in that. It's a black mesh enclosure with a frame of plastic PVC pipe, with a zipper top. It weighs about 4 pounds and is very easy to use. I think it cost about $35 including shipping from BigAppleHerp.com. The mesh allows some UVB in, and the zipper top keeps them from panicking at every bird, cloud, and leaf that goes over their head. None of mine are fans of wind, either, so if it's a really breezy day they just don't enjoy being out there.

BrendaKay

Juvie Member
carlisv":29rt0pqm said:
I bought a reptarium that's about the size of a breeder tank, and take our fellas out (one at a time, of course) in that. It's a black mesh enclosure with a frame of plastic PVC pipe, with a zipper top. It weighs about 4 pounds and is very easy to use. I think it cost about $35 including shipping from BigAppleHerp.com. The mesh allows some UVB in, and the zipper top keeps them from panicking at every bird, cloud, and leaf that goes over their head. None of mine are fans of wind, either, so if it's a really breezy day they just don't enjoy being out there.
Thank you for posting that. I looked at the site and am placing an order. What a MUCH easier vacation home for my dragon!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kiricowell
Top Bottom