Liquid calcium

Status
Not open for further replies.

rottnbull02

Hatchling Member
Is there a standard dose for liquid calcium by weight for a healthy dragon? The powder you put on your crickets once a day and really you cant tell how much you are giving. I have looked on beautifuldragon.com but don't see it anywhere. Is there a book or something I can purchase that will tell me a dosing by weight range?

Thanks,
Stephanie

rottnbull02

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks Tracie!

My next question is how often. On beautiful dragons she says to dose 7 x a week on a dragon under the age of 1 year, however, I have most often read here to only give calcium 5 x a week. On that same note beautiful dragons says to give vitamins 4-5 x a week on a dragon under a year, but I noticed here they say only 2 x a week. I am wondering if I am not giving enough of both vitamins and calcium.

I definitley like giving it in liquid as I can regulate how much they are getting every day, it isn't a guestamit. :mrgreen:

One more question, how can you tell if your dragon has to much calcium?

Stephanie

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Stephanie,

Well those are great questions. Due to oversupplementation problems, I feel that liquid calcium should be given 5 times max, per week & vitamins 2 times per week, max.
They are small animals & really do not need overloads of vitamins. As long as their feeders are gutloaded & they eat a reasonable amount of vegetation or babyfood (if they are spoiled) then they do not need that much on the vitamins.
I agree, liquid calcium you can control the amount they get & it is hard to measure the powder, unless you literally measure it out with a teaspoon, etc.
Most of the time their urates will become discolored if they are getting too much calcium & other supplementation. Then, if that does happen just back off of the frequency or amount of supplementation & increase the fluids a little bit & their urates should return to their normal color & consistency.

I hope that helps. :D

Tracie

rottnbull02

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
That does help. Thanks Tracie.

One more question though. I am using reptisun 10.0 for all my dragons, and I know that my calcium need to have D3, however, the liquid form does not have D3. What can I do to ensure they are getting adequate amounts of D3? Should I still dust the crickets with the calcium/D3 and only give half the dose of liquid?

Thanks,
Stephanie

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Stephanie,

Oh that is fine that you have the plain calcium with no D3. If you want to ensure that they are getting enough D3 you can use calcium with D3 once maybe twice weekly instead of the liquid calcium to ensure they are getting it. However, as long as you keep the Reptisun 10 flourescent up to date by changing it out every 5 or so months, they should synthesize enough D3 in their system without having to supplement it too much.

Tracie

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Stephanie,

Great! :D Let me know how they do on that schedule, & if you have any questions, just let me know.

Tracie

rottnbull02

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Ok another question. Probably driving you nuts hu :mrgreen:

Do you keep up the supplimentation through their entire life? What I mean is, on beautiful dragon she has it broken down to start slowing down the supplimentations after a year. I guess it makes sense as they are not growing as much, but they must still need calcium. How often do you suppliment after a year?

How about while breeding. I know the females need more calcium...how much and how often? I have also read conflicting messages to feed pinkie mice and not feed pinkie mice while breeding. Which is correct? Do they actually get that much more calcium from the pinkies or is it more for the fat content?

Thanks,
Stephanie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom